• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNOW REMOVAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The safest solution is to pick up a winter car, a beater that is mechanically sound. I didn't care if I had to use a broom to get the snow off the winter beater. I used to do this for years when I wintered in Wisconsin. Now my solution is that I take my ride to Florida for the winter.

It's not just the snow but the rock salt and gravel on the highways that also beat the hell out of your baby. Ever forced to drive behind a snowplow that is dropping rock salt on the freeway? If you're driving a beater you don't mind that constant tick, tick, tick sound as the chunks of salt are chipping paint off.

You'd be surprised at how nice of a beater you can get for a couple hundred bucks. What's it worth to you to keep your nice shiny new ride in pristine condition? Park in in the garage and cover it for the duration.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Re: SNOW REMOVAL

Originally posted by SteaminPete
      Any suggestions for snow removal from vehicles to minimize paint damage?.
      The best for removing snow is a Sno-Rake.. Its like a water blade for snow! It is a soft styrofoam piece at the end of a broom handle. With the right snow, it takes literally a few seconds to clean a whole car. For 20 bucks it was well worth it .

I see you are from MA.. let me know if you need a place to find one

Comment

Snow shovel. Metal.

Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
        Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
          Snow shovel. Metal.

When I was a teenager, I had an old 72 Buick GS, and my stepfather removed snow by dragging a metal shovel across the hood.

Comment

My son had a 93 Duster last year, a real beater. I used the old steel shovel removal on that but niether one us cared!.
            Now he drives a 91 Sable w/59,000 mi on it and a decent body. He had his first sledding accident with it last night. Luckily it was just the front plate holder that got wacked.

IT's GOING TO BE A LONG WINTER!.

Which hasn't offically arrived yet.

Comment

I leave all the snow on my toneau (sp) cover... I like to watch if fly off the back of the truck But for the hood and roof, I just use my arm/ hand and leave about 3-4 inches on the paint... It melts off.... the windows I use a regular brush/ scraper...
              Rangerpowersports.com
              Ranger72

Comment

yesterday it snowed this is the third time for this year
                i just take a mf and wipe off
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Ok, leave a thin layer...I've done this. And it's great until that huge sheet of melting ice then slides down off the roof or hood then scratching the paint anyhow.
                  Note...I'm so sick of this new BLACK car
                  HammerDown

Comment

I did a no-no today. I cleared me a little bit off the windsheild and drove the 1.5 miles to the car wash and took the pressure washer to it. I just stood back as far as I could and just got close enough to blow the junk off.

Liekly not the best of ideas but I am sure I am not going to do any damage that I can't correct in the spring.
                    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

The best for removing snow is a Sno-Rake.. Its like a water blade for snow! It is a soft styrofoam piece at the end of a broom handle. With the right snow, it takes literally a few seconds to clean a whole car. For 20 bucks it was well worth it .
                      Hello! I live in MA; and I'm lurking on this fourm right now. I was wondering if you could tell me any places that sell the sno-rake. I live just south of Boston near Foxboro. I've been using the ruber end of a Squeegee to pull snow off my car and I think I'm going to need somthing else.

Thanks, enjoy the hoilday season

Comment

Search for "Sno Brum" on www.amazon.com

and... Welcome to MOL!
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I would deff not use that on my car!!!!
                          Rangerpowersports.com
                          Ranger72

Comment

CAUTION...when using the "snow-rake" or ANY type of snow removal device!
                            WHY...because chances are there is (dirt/grit) under that Snow and on the painted surface, when pulling the snow off...it scratches the paint!
                            I have a snow rake and only really use it on the windows (or) carefully pull the top section of snow off the vehicle and try to leave a thin coating of snow (on) the vehicle.
                            The best and only way of removing the frozen layer is by trying to let it melt via Sun or maybe a hose hooked up to a warm water faucet. Avoid letting that frozen layer/sheet of ice/snow from sliding off the hood/roof also...I know it's a pain
                            HammerDown

Comment

I have one of those Sno Brums. It seems kind of harsh to use on car paint so I have not used it. I have had it for about 3 years.

RamAirV1
                              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I've used my Sno Brum on the Volvo beater we used to have and also on rentals/loaners. As long as you leave that last 1/4" or so of snow on the vehicle it's not a bad way to go. But do make sure you don't work your way down to bare paint. The idea is to only push/pull snow-on-snow so nothing's happening at the level of your paint.

As everyone's already pointed out, the real problem is dirt between the snow and the paint. No real way to get around this, but letting that last bit of snow melt and slide off the car seems to be the safest approach. Any other method of clearing it (besides melting/etc.) will involve added pressure and will almost certainly make things worse.

Oh, and be careful with those window scrapers and brushes. Besides scratching your glass (it's easier than you might expect), watch that you don't accidentally hit the paint. Yeah, it sounds obvious but I'm very, very careful about using any such things. I'd rather let the car warm up for a long time if I can and melt it off the glass that way.
                                Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');