• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

preventing bugs from sticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preventing bugs from sticking?

Is there anything you can apply to the front of your vehicle to preventing bugs from sticking to the paint? Just on long trips... not all the time, you know something you can wash off once you have returned home from the trip. I have heard of using Pam cooking spray but is that a good thing to do?

I apply rainx to my windshield and headlights, it seems to work well in those areas.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

The absolute best way to stop bugs from sticking to your front end is to drive behind a Hummer H2.
    Rich
    If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
    DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Vaseline?
      Quadruple Honda Owner
      Black cars are easy!

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
        Vaseline?
        no, if any sand (ok talking head fans) or dirt gets in it when you try to wash it out it will be like sand paper to your finish.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

The wife just bough me some Rain-x in a spray can. not sure how i feel about it this form. I'm use to it in the little squirt bottles. I some times get careless and get a little rain-x on the paint, but to apply it on the whole front end now that's brave I don't think I can do that.

I read this hint on another board But have not tried it.(YET)
          clean windows,
          apply rain-x and leave it on,
          wash your veh,
          the Rain-x excess washes off leaving a streak free finish.

I think I might have to try this way once

Vaseline?
          UUGH you don't want to know what kinda image this conjures up in my mine.
          stop stop must stop thinking.

bet your freinds call you slick

Ahhh you guys make me laugh thanks I needed that
          Rich
          If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
          DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

I don't know what will prevent bugs from sticking whatsoever, but I know a good coat of wax will make it easier to wash them off, and when washing them off, saturating the front of the car with plenty of water helps to loosen them also.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have heard about using Pam vegetable spray also. Is there anyway this would harm the paint? It sounds silly but if it works?
              In Fla we have the love bugs twice a year and they are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6GT
                I have heard about using Pam vegetable spray also. Is there anyway this would harm the paint? It sounds silly but if it works?
                In Fla we have the love bugs twice a year and they are everywhere.
                when I was down there last year I was hitting bugs the size of small seagulls......don't blame you a bit for wanting to be creative!
                2019 GMC Sierra
                1500 AT4

Comment

Originally posted by 2000
                  when I was down there last year I was hitting bugs the size of small seagulls......don't blame you a bit for wanting to be creative!
                  I've seen a lot of cars from Florida with air dams, or bug deflectors on the front end.

Bugs are bad in Mississippi too...The mosquito population is so bad there, it is referred to as the state bird!
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                    I've seen a lot of cars from Florida with air dams, or bug deflectors on the front end.

those things seem to be more for protecting the hood these days. my old (and ugly) style really kept the bugs off the windshield but the new style allow the bugs to SPLAT all over you line of sight.
                    2019 GMC Sierra
                    1500 AT4

Comment

The air dams that people use help keep the bugs off the windshield at about 45+ mph but don't help at all with the bumpers. There is some kind of acid or something in the love bugs and if not rinsed off right away and if let to sit to long can eat through the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6GT
                        There is some kind of acid or something in the love bugs and if not rinsed off right away and if let to sit to long can eat through the paint.
                        Wow! That is a problem!

I guess the only thing that I could suggest, would be to put on 2 coats of NXT wax, then use Final Detail (FD leaves the surface very slick) to wipe the area clean every day or two...Followed by NXT spray booster wax.

If that doesn't help, then this post would be a good read for Meguiar's chemists.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          I don't know what will prevent bugs from sticking whatsoever, but I know a good coat of wax will make it easier to wash them off, and when washing them off, saturating the front of the car with plenty of water helps to loosen them also.

Mike
                          I always have a fresh coat of NXT on but now that I have a black vehicle they seem to bake on quickly as compared to my white truck I use to have.
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');