• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing wax from rubber/vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing wax from rubber/vinyl

Please - what can be done once wax has been rubbed into rubber bumpers, etc.? Thank you.

Use a brush like this one or something similar

and some Simple green mixed 1:2 and very gently remove the wax. You will have to reapply wax around the area but this time make sure you tape off the bumper

What kind of wax are you using??
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Thank you, Hannibal. I am using

Megniar's Cleaner Wax. I wil try the Simple Green and brush approach. The wax is embedded in the rubber. It has been there for months. (Don't say it). This is due to a grossly erroneous theory that because the non-metallic parts of the car appeared dry, the wax might seal it. (Don't say it).

But in keeping with outlandish theories, now that the rubber has deteriorated further, and I'm calling roof-rack, etc., 'rubber', while it is probably a synthetic blend, and as putting oil on it would create a temporary cosmetic effect, but otherwise make a bad situation worse, what might be done? Thank you.

Comment

I like to use rubbing alcohol on a microfiber towel. Just rub the towel into the rubber, and you will see the transfer back to the towel after a bit of elbow grease. Then apply a suitable dressing. I like #38 Tire and Trim Gel. Insane Shine or Tech Protectant works good too.
        Richard Lin
        ShowCarDetailing
        5548 E. La Palma Ave
        Anaheim, CA 92807
        toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

I have back to black for trim until I try meguiars Gold CLass trim dressing. It works great!!

Good Luck!!!
          http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

if you get a chance use the search feature try different wording....but there are many ways you can clean and try removing the wax off rubber seals or gaskets...one example is #40 ,#39, #38, triple duty brush from meguiars

or try your own tooth brush cut to size for stiffer bristle (may work)

vinly & rubber cleaner/conditioner

Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner

Tire & Trim Dressing Gel

triple duty brush

hope this helps....
            Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Thank you, all!

I will definitely try the methods and products mentioned. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Comment

PS Your cars look fabulous.

(And I bet you don't even throw your litter out the windows). I look forward to practicing the art of cleaning and waxing my car. Thank you, again.

Comment

you can also use peanut butter for remvoing wax off trim

Comment

I have to say the creamy Peter Pan peanut butter worked like a charm. It was a little messy but too off the white residue fairly easily.

I would be interested to know what might be in peanut butter that would remove the wax. Any chemical engineers out there?
                    2000 Nissan Maxima
                    2005 Nissan Xterra

Comment

Yes I am chemical engineer.. and I have no idea.

Did it seem to dissolve the white stuff, or just kind of lift off flakes?

Like dissolves like, so could just be a similar oil in the wax to peanut oil.

Anyway, The Gold Class Trim Detailer certainly seems to work well for me on rubber/plastic bits. You can apply the trim dressing, then wax, then remove the wax and excess dressing. It will help protect from getting white residue.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I think the peanut butter trick, like many of these solutions, simply works by soaking the residue with oil, rendering it more transparent, and therefore temporarily invisible. As the oil is removed by weathering/washing, the stain will come back.

The only way to truly remove the wax stains is to mechanically agitate (brush or MF) in conjunction with a solvent/emulsifier (either a detergent, like the Simple Green that was mentioned, APC, #39, etc., or with a dressing). After you have it removed, you want to be very careful so as not to get it on there again, because it is *so* much easier to take a little more time and not get it on there in the first place than it is to try to get it off.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');