• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Aggressive Paint Cleaner/Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Aggressive Paint Cleaner/Compound

Diamond Cut 2.0 is a good product, but I would like to see Meguiar's make one that will work faster on hard, cured paints.

As a professional shop, we used 3M's Perfect-It III and Extra Cut Rubbing Compounds for such applications. They dust a great deal more than Meguiar's, but they cut quickly in those tough situations where DC 2.0 won't get the job done or can't do it without repeated applications.

Five years later, this is still the approach I take as a serious hobbyist.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your valuable input!

I will forward this to Jason Rose right now as I'm sure he would like to read this.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As a professional shop, we used 3M's Perfect-It III and Extra Cut Rubbing Compounds for such applications. They dust a great deal more than Meguiar's, but they cut quickly in those tough situations where DC 2.0 won't get the job done

I have been know to do the same
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Yesterday I actually took a day off work. My project was a white 2002 Ford Taurus with someone else's nasty compound marks to remove. Actually, these were so bad, they'd qualify as scratches. I could see them in the garage before I turned on the lights.

Most of yesterday was spent on this car and it reminded me of why I switched to mainly using a competitor's compounds on the tough jobs.

Using the rotary:

M83 and W8000 @ 1450 RPM added shine, but removed virtually no marks...that's what I'd expected

M84 and W7000 @ 1350 RPM removed a few marks, after 3-4 applications on various panels of the vehicle

M85 and W4000 @ 1350-1800 RPM remvoved more, but not all, of the marks; again 3-4 applications of work

After switching to the competitor's *FOAM* pad and compound at 1500 RPM, it quickly took 1-2 applications to remove everything

Just to be sure, I did this on several different panels, in different lights, wiping with the 50-50 water-alcohol mix. Yes, it worked.

M83 on W8000 @ 1450 RPM removed the marks from this compound. The old compound scratches were now removed and I was on my way to finishing the job by last night.

Please make something with more cut:

1) It would help those of us working on the vehicles

2) It would help those who try to sell these products to detailers and body shops.

The "compound issue" with Meguiar's is one I remember hearing repeatedly when I was in the business.
        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');