Zaino Z2Pro vs Meguiar's #16 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zaino Z2Pro vs Meguiar's #16

Keep us updated, Bob. I've used both products too and got excellent results with each. I prefer #16 though, since there is no mixing involved. Apply, wait 60 seconds, remove. Couldn't be any easier!

60 secs ??? sounds a little fast that means you could do your whole car in under 30 mins !

It's been 3.5 weeks now. It got into the 50's today so I washed the Nissan. I used Gold Class car wash as I said. There has been salt on the roads as it has snowed at least once, and we had a deluge of rain one evening when it was right around freezing, that turned into hellacious ice by morning. So the car is quite salty.

Upon hosing the car off, the difference in the hood was rather dramatic. You could literally see the line down it. I use the Ultimate Nozzle, so here is after hosing down the whole hood and giving it about 30 seconds to a minute to sit:

This is the same after washing and rinsing the hood:

The mirror housings had the same effect. After washing and rinsing them, the #16 mirror housing would shed water quicky after hosing. This is about 10 seconds after soaking it:

The Z2Pro mirror had the water just cling to it in a big blob, it very slowly would pull away from the top edges:

The feel was different as well. The #16 side of the hood was easier to dry, the towel slid over it more easily (even for the final pass) while the Z2Pro side had much more drag and was harder to dry on the final pass. The mirror housings felt the same way after drying, to the touch the #16 housing felt somewhat slick, the Z2Pro housing not at all. At this point there doesn't seem to be any real reason to continue the experiment. I will see about getting some ZFX and trying that. However, I really doubt it will make a difference.

While I certainly don't contend #16 will last more than Z2Pro, and I doubt that Zaino would fail as quickly on other cars I own, in this case it definitely didn't hold up as long and see no reason to use it on the Nissan. I have had similar results with Klasse on the Nissan, and to a lesser extent with Autoglym (the EGP on the rest of the car wasn't doing well at this washing either, though it has been on about 8 weeks). Yet Klasse has lasted about 4-6 weeks on the Aurora now and is kicking butt in spite of the salt exposure and general lack of frequent washings. So certainly it's as much the car as the product.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Hi:

Thanks for doing this.

Very interesting, I really was expecting different results.

Why do you think it is the paint causing the difference?

Regards,

KTruck

Registered Member
    Aurora40- Thanks for the update. Yeah, some paints/surfaces just respond better to some products than they do to others. Once you find what works for you you're all set, no matter what others say about their favorite products
    Practical Perfectionist

It would be interesting to know why sealants don't work as well on the Nissan. Is it the age of the paint? It it the type of paint?

I thought both sections of the hood looked pretty good right after you applied the products.

Maybe you should do the same test on the Aurora and compare the two products. It would be interesting.

RamAirV1

I don't know what exactly it is about the Nissan's paint. It is a 1995, and the paint has seen better days. The clear is bubbled in a few places, though it hasn't gotten noticeably worse in the last 4-5 years. It doesnt' have a lot of gloss or reflection on its own, if you clean it up, reflections are fairly fuzzy. Most of the gloss/shine comes from whatever you put on it, though the paint is not chalky or dull.

I could try the Aurora, but I'm not so interested in making it a test bed. Right now I want a product that is easy, looks decent, and lasts well. I'm using Klasse currently as it fits the bill. I've thought about going back to Blackfire, but it's just not that easy to apply.

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Originally posted by Aurora40

I could try the Aurora, but I'm not so interested in making it a test bed. Right now I want a product that is easy, looks decent, and lasts well.

I'm using Klasse currently as it fits the bill. I've thought about going back to Blackfire, but it's just not that easy to apply.
    Is that Klasse SG or AIO?

I'm assuming SG as it is the pure sealant and AIO is a cleaner/wax but I want to check to make sure.
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Is that Klasse SG or AIO?

I'm assuming SG as it is the pure sealant and AIO is a cleaner/wax but I want to check to make sure.
    I use them both. AIO is a nice prep product, it's chemical and not abrasive, or at least not overly abrasive, so it gets the Aurora in nice shape. Then I applied SG several times on top of that over about a week or two.

I like AIO a lot, it actually reminds me of MPPC a bit, except it leaves some protection behind. But they are similarly easy to use and remove, and both do a nice job of chemical cleaning. On the 'vette I use AIO prior to Zaino as I find the whole many washes/wipedowns/Z1/ZFX stuff of Zaino to be sort of crazy.

The Aurora hasn't been washed in weeks, is fairly salty, and still beads like crazy when it rains.

On another forum people seemed sort of skeptical of the results (only now that the results are in, of course), so I'll probably try this again with some ZFX-enabled Z2 Pro. We'll see how that goes... This is providing I can get my solid ZFX replaced for free, I'm not gonna shell out another $20 for the stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information