• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#20 & #21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20 & #21

Up to this point I have always been trying to stick to 2 applications of a wax or sealant when I apply. I apply one on one day then apply the 2nd coat the next day. Both coats being the same product, whatever it may have been at the time. It's been working pretty well for me but with Winter here I was thinking about changing up a little.

I have played with just about every Meg's wax there is so far except for Color-X on my truck. At this point i have pretty much decided I liked the qualities of #20, #21 and NXT the best.

Today I was thinking about deviating from my normal application of the same product of different days and trying something a little different.

I was thinking on the first day, apply #20 to take advantage of it's cleaners, Then on Day 2 apply #21 as my LSP. I know the commonly recommended approach would be to apply 2 coats of #20 then top it with #21 but my thinking is that the 2nd coat of #20 will likely just clean a larger portion of the 1st coat off, as compared to the #21. The #21, from my understanding, has less cleaners in it so will be less likely to clean as much of the #20 back off.

I spent all day today giving the truck a good thorough cleaning and was kind of thinking tomorrow I might go ahead and get started with this. I don't need to clay and was thinking about hitting it with #9 or #82 before applying the #20.

Anyway, as I am deviating from my normal practice here I just wanted to push out a post to solicite any feedback or thoughts from any of you who may have something to offer. I want to make sure there is nothing I have not considered here. I think it's pretty cut and dry but I like kicking things out for discussion when trying something new. Piece of mind and all that.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Re: #20 & #21

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
    I was thinking on the first day, apply #20 to take advantage of it's cleaners, Then on Day 2 apply #21 as my LSP.

I know the commonly recommended approach would be to apply 2 coats of #20 then top it with #21 but my thinking is that the 2nd coat of #20 will likely just clean a larger portion of the 1st coat off, as compared to the #21.

The #21, from my understanding, has less cleaners in it so will be less likely to clean as much of the #20 back off.

Our chemists have told me that second applications of products like M20 will leave behind more wax they they will remover, when it comes to a third application however, you're at, or getting at a plateau, where you've hit, or are going to hit the law of diminishing returns.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: #20 & #21

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      Our chemists have told me that second applications of products like M20 will leave behind more wax they they will remover, when it comes to a third application however, you're at, or getting at a plateau, where you've hit, or are going to hit the law of diminishing returns.
      I went outside to puff on a cigar and reconsidered the matter. As I am going to hit it with the #9 or #82 anyway. I am not sure if I still see the need for the cleaners in #20. So I have kind of changed my mind at this point and decided to go with 2 coats of #21.

I think if I were going to forego the cleaner/polsh step I would then likely run with the #20 but after reconsidering I don't think it necessary.

I am trying to settle into more of a maintenance mode here regarding my truck. I have done an ridiculous amount of experimenting and have developed basic familiarity with the majority of the products and my confidence in them as well as my abilities is to the point where I can make a better decision as to what I want to do.

Now I need to decide whether to use #82 or #9. I think I'll put out a separat post and do some reasearch.
      Jeff Smith

Comment

i have a white honda as well taffeta white civic, and when my paint needs a cleaner, i like the #80, followed by 2 coats of #21, and topped off with #26. to prepare for the upcoming winter, 2day i did clay, #80, 2 coats of #21, topped off with collinite..what ever you decide post pics i love your truck...are the rims coming off for winter

Comment

#9 will leave your finish "squeeky" clean!
          Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by jchetty
            i have a white honda as well taffeta white civic, and when my paint needs a cleaner, i like the #80, followed by 2 coats of #21, and topped off with #26. to prepare for the upcoming winter, 2day i did clay, #80, 2 coats of #21, topped off with collinite..what ever you decide post pics i love your truck...are the rims coming off for winter
            Yep, The rims are coming off soon, I have the OEM set in the shed with good M&S tires already on them. Gonna miss that Chrome though.

I have tentativly decided to go the following route start tomorrow, possibly will get started tonight at work if it's slow.

#82>#3>#21(x2).

I think I am going to settle into the following for normal, routine, maintenance but will obviously deviate depending on the evaluation prior to each workup
            #9>#3>#21(x2)

I am not putting thought into a topper at this point. Can always decide whether or not I want to bother with that later.

For those times I might wish to wax without going through the cleaning/polishing step I think I'll run with a coat of #20 followed by a coat of #21.

I am trying to work myself out a routine using the least agressive products and I think the above stuff should suffice.
            Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lightning
              #9 will leave your finish "squeeky" clean!
              I plan on using the #9 for as my normal maintence cleaner/polish. I am going to use to #82 tomorrow as it appears to be a tad bit more aggressive. I have a few swirls to work on. Not much but a few.

I'll likely run the #82 over it then evaluate whether or not I'll jump up to #80. But my finish is pretty good so I am trying to get by with the lest aggressive product I think will do it.
              Jeff Smith

Comment

20 + 21...
                Been doing a side by side longetivity test with the 2 on the hood of my metallic gun gray F250. So far after several weeks both appear to be holding up fairly well.... the test goes on.
                I do like how M21 appears to make any fine scratches in my Black metallic Toyota disappear. Is it removing them or simply filling? Any rate what ever it's doing, I like it!
                Sorry but I'm not buying into the layering of two different products. I just belive they blend into one.
                20+21...pretty good stuff
                HammerDown

Comment

The wax will just be filling in swirls, not removing them.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDown
                    20 + 21...
                    Been doing a side by side longetivity test with the 2 on the hood of my metallic gun gray F250. So far after several weeks both appear to be holding up fairly well.... the test goes on.
                    I do like how M21 appears to make any fine scratches in my Black metallic Toyota disappear. Is it removing them or simply filling? Any rate what ever it's doing, I like it!
                    Sorry but I'm not buying into the layering of two different products. I just belive they blend into one.
                    20+21...pretty good stuff
                    They may/may not blend into one. I would not know. At first, my thoughts were that with what I was going to do I was not going to clean & polish the paint. So the logic was start off with #20 as it is more of a cleaner wax then follow up with #21. I figured the #21 would remove less of the #20 then if I applied another coat of #20. Made snse in my feable mind.

Then after thinking about it and making the decision to go ahead and clean & polish, I figured I would already have a good clean surface so why not go ahead and run with the #21.

So thats what I am in the middle of at the moment. I already have 1 coat of #21 and am waiting a few more hours to put on another coat.

I have not done any side by side comparisoms with #20 & #21 yet. I doubt I will either since #20 is touted is being more of a cleaner wax, to me they are 2 different animals, each with there own intended purpose. At least that is my thinking and is how I plan on working them into my mix. I am going to save the #20 for those times when for some unknown reason I won't have time to do a proper surface prep. Then I'll use the #21 for those times when I can.

I may play around with topping the #21 with NXT. I am thinking 2 coats of #21 topped with a hand applied coat of NXT should prove to be a very durable base coat for the upcoming winter. The 2 coats of #21 would lkley be all I need but I suspect topping those with a hand applied coat will go a little farther as far as durability goes. I guess I will see.
                    Jeff Smith

Comment

I am not sure how much cleaning ability #21 has, but since Nxt has some, you may find it is better to have the Nxt on the bottom, so it doesnt try and remove any of the #21.

Could be a whole 'nother test for u...
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');