• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What vehicle for a mobile detailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vehicle for a mobile detailer?

Right now I have a 1993 Ford F-150 that I use for mobile detailing. Its seen better days, so I am planning on what to get next. I don't carry large amounts of water or any water reclamation systems. My options at the moment are:

1) Full size truck (F-150 4x4, Toyota Tundra 4x4)
    2) SUV (Toyota 4Runner V6 4x4)
    3) Full size van (E-150)

What do you use / your opinions
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Re: What vehicle for a mobile detailer?

I suggest a GMC Savanna or Chevy Express for the job. A van is truly the best way to go, for fitting large machines, products, vacuums,etc. Side and Back door access. Get your custom logo on the sides.

Just ask Nick Chapman and check out his Van
    Matt

Comment

I would use the Full Size Van, that way everything is inside and protected
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

How soon do you need it?

I HIGHLY suggest taking a look at the new Ford Transit Connect. They are going to get 22 MPG city, 24 highway, and would allow you to store everything inside. They are really neat, utilitarian vehicles.

I would get one for sure if I was going to be detailing full-time.

Comment

I used a truck for 4 years,then I started using a van 2 years ago.A van is the way I would go, you can get everything in side of it and not have to worry about weather or someone getting sticky fingers at what you have in the back of the truck.Mine is a old ford econoline van,it gets around 14 miles to the gallon,but I usually don't have to drive on average more than 7 or 8 miles, so gas hasn't been a big expense for me.If you get lucky like I did, you might get one pretty cheep from a used car dealer.I did 2 full details for mine and got the title.I worked on it for several months and I love it.My total cost for my van was about $1200.00.Thats tires,paint,rims,and some nice seats.(Most of all no car payment.)
          barry

Comment

i would go with a Chevy Express 3500 or a Dodge Sprinter
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

It really depends on your needs/requirements. I would first take an inventory of what you will carry in the vehicle. Second, how important is fuel economy? Are your details local or do you really log on miles? Ideally, a covered vehicle is ideal. A full size van is perfect if fuel economy is not important (and like Barry mentioned earlier you can pick up a used one for a song). If fuel economy is important, you could look at a Chevy HHR (Panel version that replaced the back seats with a flat floor), Honda Element, new Ford Transit Connect (Very intriguing design and the ability to have rear seats and a dedicated cargo area).

Comment

Since I'll be buying used that leaves out the Ford Transit Connect.
                AeroCleanse, LLC
                www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

what type of budget/range do you have to work with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                    what type of budget/range do you have to work with?
                    Probably less than $20k
                    AeroCleanse, LLC
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
                      Probably less than $20k
                      I would go with a stripped down Chevy Express or Ford Econoline.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I have a Crew Cab Silverado and planning on getting a cap for it for my future mobile detail biz.

Truck was paid for by insurance via total of my SUV...so no overhead there for me ( except maintenance )

I get 18 city/highway which is 30/70 ratio where I live and can squeeze 22 on highway out at 70 mph.
                        WrightDetail
                        The Wright Way
                        2007 Chevy HHR
                        2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Comment

if you dont need alot of space then a Chevy hhr panal would be could because then you could put a logo on it and the gas miles would be good. if you need more space then a Chevy Express or Ford Econoline

Comment

Originally posted by 07g5gt View Post
                            if you dont need alot of space then a Chevy hhr panal would be could because then you could put a logo on it and the gas miles would be good. if you need more space then a Chevy Express or Ford Econoline
                            I seriously was about to respond with that! LOL Timing huh? I agree the HHR panel truck would be a good choice. You should also check for state auctions. I used to work for CalTrans at the Division of Equipment, and we had some good trucks, gas and diesel, vans, trucks, and stake beds, some with utility boxes! They are all kept in great running order and have all records, I know from experience, but cosmetically they are rather poor. I forget the website but I'll call a buddy of mine and I'll try to get the link posted here if its ok with the mod's.
                            "Surely you can't be serious!?"
                            "I am serious....and don't call me Shirley."

Comment

Originally posted by Robby144 View Post
                              I seriously was about to respond with that! LOL Timing huh? I agree the HHR panel truck would be a good choice. You should also check for state auctions. I used to work for CalTrans at the Division of Equipment, and we had some good trucks, gas and diesel, vans, trucks, and stake beds, some with utility boxes! They are all kept in great running order and have all records, I know from experience, but cosmetically they are rather poor. I forget the website but I'll call a buddy of mine and I'll try to get the link posted here if its ok with the mod's.
                              Cosmetically poor would be the reason I'm looking at getting something else.
                              AeroCleanse, LLC
                              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');