• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I own multiple Meguiars Wax, which one to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I own multiple Meguiars Wax, which one to use?

Hi,
    I just got a brand new black car and needed some help as I have different Meguiar's products. I currently have the following products:

1. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax Paste
    2. Meguiar's Black Wax Paste
    3. Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax
    4. Meguiar's Paint Protect
    5. Meguiar's Quick Detailer Mist and Wipe

Which products should I use on it and in what steps and how much gap between each step (Curing time). I was thinking of washing the car and applying Paint Protect first then Clear Wax followed by Black Wax Paste and a toping of Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid Wax. Please note time is not an issue. Looking forward to expert opinion. Thanks

Re: I own multiple Meguiars Wax, which one to use?

First off welcome to MOL.

You have a good selection of products. You also don't need to use all of them at one time.

The cleaner wax and black wax fall into the cleaner wax/All In One product category. Meaning they clean, polish and protect. With Black Wax containing abrasives, it will remove whatever is applied before it. These are used when someone has time constraints and can not polish and protect with dedicated products.

Since you will be using paint protect as your base layer, you can follow up with gold class if you wish to top it. The curing can be found on the back of the bottle for paint protect. I don't have the bottle in front of me but around 12-24 hours is fine before topping it.

You can maintain with quick detailer as a drying aid or to remove light dust.

The basic wash and wax process is

1. Wash
    2. Clay - you will have to determine if this needs to be done. Feel the paint and if it is rough to the touch then clay. Removing those above surface contaminants will allow the protection to last longer.
    3. Wax or Sealant
    4. Maintain - Wash, spray wax, quick detailer, reapply wax when needed.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I heard that
      Meguiar's Black Wax Paste
      is one of the best waxes for Black Cars. Can you suggest how I can include it too in the process?

Comment

You can use black wax and top it with Gold Class.

Paint Protect is a sealant and you can top a sealant with a wax as you want the longest form of protection as your base layer and the wax becomes the sacrificial layer. The other way around is a waste of product as paint protect will not bond well if sitting on top of a wax or cleaner wax. This is the general theory. Now there are those who top a cleaner wax with a longer lasting product such as ultimate wax or NXT. But not the other way around as a cleaner wax will remove the previous layer.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanyou for your help.
          According to http://globalgarage.org/best-car-wax-black-cars/ they say "[LEFT][COLOR=#424242][FONT=Open Sans]We recommend you to use a Meguiar

Comment

They recommend that I use a cleaner wax before Black Wax. Are you sure black wax is a cleaner wax?

Comment

Yes, the black and white waxes are cleaner waxes. Black wax is just the milder of the two.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by sheeraznabi View Post
                They recommend that I use a cleaner wax before Black Wax. Are you sure black wax is a cleaner wax?
                Yes it is and as Murr pointed out white wax is as well.

You can read up more information on Black Wax here.

See the following graphic.

99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks a lot man

Comment

Hi.
                    One last Question. After applying paint protect will I have to wait for 24 hours to let it cure before applying black wax or I can apply the wax after say 30min and the paint sealant will cure even with the wax on top of it? Also if I use duster after waxing the car will it be safe? if not then will it damage my paint or just the wax on top of it?

Comment

Black Wax is going to remove paint protect as I had previously mentioned given that it is an abrasive cleaner wax. So curing time will not play a factor if black wax is used over paint protect. Gold Class would be a better option to top paint protect allowing paint protect to cure for 24 hours.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yeah, you would want to do the "cleaner/wax" type product, then the "wax" type product.

So Black Wax then Gold Class, or Black Wax then Paint Protect.

Waiting 24 hours is nice, but the first coat wont fall off the car if you only have 30 minutes....
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Good to know. I did not know that White Wax has more cleaning power than a Cleaner Wax.

I myself have stopped applying 2 coats to my car a few years ago. The purpose of the 2nd coat is to ensure full coverage and since I wax often (at least once a month), what I miss this time would be covered in next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');