• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Firstly let me you to MOL
    I think you may have posted in the wrong area, try posting your question in Delailing 101
    And have fun!
    The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

i wash my pads with 50/50 alchool and water , and ooks like cleans them well , after that i try to keep them on an absorbant material to take out all the wet excess from inside.
      i am a rookie so... if anyone use alchool with water in cleaning process a feedback will be welcome. also i use same pad with same paste , dedicated.
      proreflection
      *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Do the soft buff 2.0 require different washing techniques than previously explained? Are they machine washable? Not that it is a big deal. I will probably try the garden hose method.

Comment

Originally posted by axel_ny View Post
          i wash my pads with 50/50 alchool and water , and ooks like cleans them well , after that i try to keep them on an absorbant material to take out all the wet excess from inside.
          i am a rookie so... if anyone use alchool with water in cleaning process a feedback will be welcome. also i use same pad with same paste , dedicated.
          Alcohol?

Is that rough on the pads?
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanD View Post
            Do the soft buff 2.0 require different washing techniques than previously explained? Are they machine washable? Not that it is a big deal. I will probably try the garden hose method.
            I'm not familiar with the 2.0 pads yet, but I see no reason why they can't be machine washed.

However, I think I'd rather do them by hand myself.
            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by JohanD View Post
              Yes, all Megs pads being made now can be washed in the washing machine.

Personally I use the sink for a few pads and a bucket for more then a few. The wax from the pads is probably going to coat the sides of the washing machine. It should not bother cloths that much but I'd rather just not have it in the washing machine to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by cheffi View Post
                take a look here:

they have a really nice video there which shows all necessary steps

So has anyone has any feedback to share about the Universal Pad Washer ?
                James Cooney
                Owner
                http://GrimeBustersPressureWashing.com

Comment

Correction to my prior post... not all Megs pads are machine washable. Megs only states this for the new Buff 2.0 pads.

Thanks Mister B for correcting this.

Comment

I didn’t read this whole thread, just the first page, and the last two pages, and I’m new here today. I’m guessing this thread is about the foam pads used on powered polishers rather than by hand?

Where do the 4-inch Foam Applicator Pads (meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+X3070) come into this? The description doesn’t say anything about using them with wax, yet my generic waxes I’ve always use come with foam applicator pads like these. I will be doing all applications by hand.
                    Gary
                    Will Fly for Food

Comment

Originally posted by wingspar View Post
                      I didn’t read this whole thread, just the first page, and the last two pages, and I’m new here today. I’m guessing this thread is about the foam pads used on powered polishers rather than by hand?

Where do the 4-inch Foam Applicator Pads (meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+X3070) come into this? The description doesn’t say anything about using them with wax, yet my generic waxes I’ve always use come with foam applicator pads like these. I will be doing all applications by hand.
                      Hi wingspar, and welcome to the forum.

Correct, this thread concerns machine buffing pads, but hand applicator pads such as the X3070 (Hi-Tech pads) can be machine, or hand washed.

Hi-Tech pads are my pads of choice when applying waxes & sealers by hand.
                      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty bumper View Post
                        Hi wingspar, and welcome to the forum.

Correct, this thread concerns machine buffing pads, but hand applicator pads such as the X3070 (Hi-Tech pads) can be machine, or hand washed.

Hi-Tech pads are my pads of choice when applying waxes & sealers by hand.
                        Ok. Thanks for the welcome and reply. No where in the description of the 4-inch Foam Applicator Pads does it talk about them being for applying wax, nor does it call them (Hi-Tech pads). You can imagine how confusing that can be to a newbie who has never done any real car detailing, and has limited knowledge of waxes and tools for applying. If it wasn’t for the fact that those foam applicator pads came with the generic wax I’ve been using, I’d still be wondering what to apply the wax with. I’ll keep them on my order list.

The other wax says to dampen the applicator before applying wax, and rinse after use. Would I still dampen the applicator with the Meguiar’s pads before use? Seems like the answer is no, but nothing definitive that I can find.
                        Gary
                        Will Fly for Food

Comment

Well, I can’t edit my last post, so I guess I have to make another. I got all my questions on these pads answered in another thread, so no need to try and straighten me out in this thread.
                          Gary
                          Will Fly for Food

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the welcome and reply. No where in the description of the 4-inch Foam Applicator Pads does it talk about them being for applying wax, nor does it call them (Hi-Tech pads). You can imagine how confusing that can be to a newbie who has never done any real car detailing, and has limited knowledge of waxes and tools for applying. If it wasn’t for the fact that those foam applicator pads came with the generic wax I’ve been using, I’d still be wondering what to apply the wax with. I’ll keep them on my order list.

The other wax says to dampen the applicator before applying wax, and rinse after use. Would I still dampen the applicator with the Meguiar’s pads before use? Seems like the answer is no, but nothing definitive that I can find.
                            The package does mention something about applying "protectants" with the pads, but I agree that the wording is somewhat vague concerning the use of these pads on paint.

As for the Hi-Tech part, these pads have used that terminology for years. Here's a link to a package with the old wording...

Not sure why Meguiars dropped the "Hi-Tech" name on the newer packaging.

Concerning your last statement, I sometimes prime (dampen) these pads with the product I'm using (waxes, sealants, cleaners, polishes, etc.) before applying them to the finish. It's a helpful step to keep the pad from drying out.

Edit: At one time Meguiars sold Hi-Tech pads in a 32 pack bundle.
                            r. b.

Comment

Well, the other product said to dampen the foam pads with water before using. I was using a paste. I’m considering using a liquid with Meguiar’s, so maybe just dampening with the product is all it needs. Rinsing with plain water, and letting them dry before putting them away has always worked in the past. Still trying to figure out what to order. Not sure how far I want to go, but I think I’d like to take it a step further than just waxing. Considering NXT and Carnauba wax, but are both necessary?
                              Gary
                              Will Fly for Food

Comment

Rinsing with plain water, and letting them dry before putting them away has always worked in the past.
                                I recommend a good hand washing in strong soap for Hi-Tech pads. The reason I suggest strong soap is because wax residue tends to be difficult to remove with mild soaps.

I always use a clean hand applicator if possible.

Still trying to figure out what to order. Not sure how far I want to go, but I think I’d like to take it a step further than just waxing.
                                I agree. Just a plain wax job is not going to remove bonded dirt & contaminates. Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay will do wonders removing above surface contamination, while a product such as ColorX can help clean below surface defects.

There are much stronger cleaners available, but ColorX is a good next step for beginners

Considering NXT and Carnauba wax, but are both necessary?
                                No. Either type is a good choice, but NXT is going to give you the best, longest lasting protection. However, if you're a person that likes to wax often, then most any of Meguiar's waxes will fit the bill.

For what it's worth, my recommended paint cleaner (ColorX) is actually a wax in itself. ColorX topped with NXT will give you great results.
                                r. b.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');