• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid dealership monkeys! My new paint is marred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid dealership monkeys! My new paint is marred

I've now had my '15 Corolla S for 3 days and now that the filler has been sprayed off ( by me spraying off bird doo) I can see how the dealerships monkeys have screwed my brand new paint.

Please tell me this can easily be fixed by hand. I don't own a DA.

1 just for fun pic and 1 so you see what I'm talking about.

2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus in Barcelona Red Metallic

Diso. Dealer installed swirl option. Looks to b buffer trails from what I can see. Good news with that yes it can b fixed, bad news is without a da it will wear u out. But can b fixed without a da. I'll let the others give u a better understanding of what to do.

Comment

Re: Stupid dealership monkeys! My new paint is marred

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
      Diso. Dealer installed swirl option. Looks to b buffer trails from what I can see. Good news with that yes it can b fixed, bad news is without a da it will wear u out. But can b fixed without a da. I'll let the others give u a better understanding of what to do.
      There is other evidence on the car that makes me think these arent by a buffer but by some horrible shop rag. Along the roof line its a straight line, guess I may need more pics. On the hood I think they just rubbed really hard trying to remove something. Plus I dont know why they'd use a buffer on a brand new car but since they obviously dont know what they're doing anything is possible.

I just hope I can remove it without having to take it to my professional detailer which will cost me hundreds.

Comment

You should be able to remove those by hand.

What products do you currently own?
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
          You should be able to remove those by hand.

What products do you currently own?
          I just went on a shopping spree today on Amazon. I bought:

Meguiars foam pads 2 pack
          Meguiars G18216 Ultimate liquid wax
          Meguiars X2000 Water magnet towel
          Meguiars X3002 Wash mit
          Meguiars Ultimate quick detailer bottle
          Meguiars M21 Sealant

And I can run to the store and buy whatever is needed. That list above will arrive Wednesday. The plan was to get the paint perfect, even in this horrible humid heat wave, then seal it so I dont have to worry about it as much.

Comment

Ok, that's a good start, but none of those products will remove your holograms. They MAY partially, temporarily hide them.

Go pick up some Ultimate Polish (UP) and Ultimate Compound (UC). Try the least aggressive one first (UP) on a test spot and see if that works. If not, step up to UC on a separate test spot. That should remove them. You may then want to follow up with UP to further refine the finish, then your favourite wax / sealant. Alternatively, you could go straight to wax / sealant after UC.
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Ok, that's a good start, but none of those products will remove your holograms. They MAY partially, temporarily hide them.

Go pick up some Ultimate Polish (UP) and Ultimate Compound (UC). Try the least aggressive one first (UP) on a test spot and see if that works. If not, step up to UC on a separate test spot. That should remove them. You may then want to follow up with UP to further refine the finish, then your favourite wax / sealant. Alternatively, you could go straight to wax / sealant after UC.

Ok. UC really scares me. Because I know there is only so much clear coat and here I am on day 3 removing some. I just worry about clearcoat thickness a few years from now. I'll try what you said though. If I'm right and these are by a shop rag and not a buffer, would you think it would be more likely to come out with UP?

Comment

You have your work cut out for you. A DA would be the best option but you can make it look better by hand. I agree with Davey. Pick up some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. If you see M205 locally I would pick that up instead of ultimate polish.

I also agree with the test spot. But based on your photo I would not hesitate to use UC followed by a polish (UP or M205) and then seal the paint with either M21 or ULW.

Good reference articles

Man versus Machine The human hand versus Meguiar's G110! This Lincoln has moderate swirls and also straight-line scratches running from front to back,

You won't be removing much clear. Especially by hand unless you have superman like strength. If you compound many times then yes you would eventually wear out the clear. Once you initially compound, all you really need is to polish. That is as long as you maintain the finish very well and follow proper washing techniques.

Read through this article. Mike Stoops has some interesting facts with paint measurements.

99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself!

Also, don't forget that you can vary the aggressiveness of UC simply by your technique and what applicator you use. So you can just rub lightly with a foam applicator to start, and see how that goes.

Comment

^^ Couldn't have said it better myself!

Also, don't forget that you can vary the aggressiveness of UC simply by your technique and what applicator you use. So you can just rub lightly with a foam applicator to start, and see how that goes.
                    My neighbor says I can borrow his DA. I've never used one but it cant be that hard.

Question is, what kind of pad will I need to use for this? I only want to use the DA for the UC/205. I'll do the sealant by hand.

Comment

You would generally use a yellow polishing pad for UC and a black finishing pad for M205.

Comment

You would generally use a yellow polishing pad for UC and a black finishing pad for M205.
                        Ok, Are these available at the local auto parts store generally?

Comment

sue them.

Comment

What brand DA?
                            Does your neighbor have a handle on using it? If so, have him give you a primer.

I am always curious when someone says they have a DA without announcing what type.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazzz View Post
                              What brand DA?
                              Does your neighbor have a handle on using it? If so, have him give you a primer.

I am always curious when someone says they have a DA without announcing what type.
                              He didnt say what brand. He said he has a polisher and an idiot proof DA. He has a mobile car detailing business. I would buy a new pad for it, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');