• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M83 rocks with a rotary! What next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M83 rocks with a rotary! What next?

M83 rocks with a rotary! What next?

I got up the guts to use a Makita rotory for the first time. my first project was a black Honda with a lot of deep scratches, scuffs, bird droppings, love bugs, car wash swirls - no practice panel.

I used 2000 grit paper for the deep scratches and had intended to use M84/7006 on the rotary as the follow up but the product did not arrive in time. Instead I used 3000 paper followed by M83/W7006 at 1500 rpm.

It took multiple passes and some pressure to remove the 3000 sanding scratches but I got them all out. More work than had I used 84 I am sure but I did not damage the paint anywhere and the final finish did not benefit from any finer compounding.

In other words I experimented on a real, black car with a rotary after wet sanding and M83/W7006 gave me a catastrophy free killer finish that went straight to M26. The owner is stunned and decided to keep the car and I learned how to use a rotary and did not have to buy a new paint job. Awesome!

What is the consensus on which follow on product is best after 83/7006/rotory if the paint needs a final compounding - 80 or 82, which pad, and roto or G100?

Thanks,

George

Re: M83 rocks with a rotary! What next?

Wow, congratulations! I still havent used a rotary yet. Try following up with some #80 on a W8006 with the G100.

Scott

Comment

It mostly depends on how hard the paint is you're working on..
      Sometimes I have to follow with #80 on a 8006, sometimes even #82 on a 9006 will do the job just fine.

Comment

veedub Mike

With a rotary or orbital?

Thanks,

George

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG View Post
          With a rotary or orbital?
          PC / G-100 just like BlueZero already wrote.

Comment

I

and M83/W7006 gave me a catastrophy free killer finish that went straight to M26.
            Did you inspect these result in bright sunlight or using a swirl finder light? Chances are very good there were swirls in the paint but the light conditions you were working under did not show them to your eyes.

Then the M26 filled them in and everything looked okie-dokie. However, as your customer washes the car and the M26 wears off the swirls will show up and your customer might not be too happy.

I

What is the consensus on which follow on product is best after 83/7006/rotary if the paint needs a final compounding - 80 or 82, which pad, and roto or G100?

Thanks,

George
            What you need to do next will always be a case by case situation, or rather a 'paint by paint' situation. Every paint system polishes differently.

After M83 with a cutting pad you may be able to remove the swirls using nothing but the PC/G100 with a cleaner/polish like M80 or M82 and then you can go to wax.

Some detailers like to check their work by wiping the paint down with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol to water and then visually inspecting the condition to see if the swirls are in fact gone.

Example
            Note the below bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol is the 90% Alcohol version, not the 50% version, this way when you mix it with water you have closer to a true 50% mixture of water to alcohol and one bottle plus the water will fill up the nice Rubbermaid generic spray bottle. It's about the same price as the weaker version and can be found at most Target stores as can the Rubbermaid spray bottle.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll take a closer look.

George

Comment

You guys were right. Looks like I will be going back to try 80 or 82 and then a final wax. Thanks to everyone for all of your help. This site is outstanding.

George

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');