• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carbon fiber hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon fiber hood

hey whats up everyone. once again i would like thanks for welcome. here comes my first issue, hopefully you guys can help. i recently got a carbon fiber hood for dirt cheap but the hood needs to be restore. the person i recieved it from said the hood has was in the carbon. i wanted to know what i need to do to bring this hood back to life. thanks in advance.

oscar

Re: carbon fiber hood

Here's a link from a Thursday Night"
    Also I just searched "carbon fiber" and all your answeres are there. Good luck and don't forget to ask anything you want. Everyone is really kewl around here. Oh yea I'm sure Mike will chime in soon enough.

Comment

i read threw that thread and i was like wow. but it didnt mention what products they used

Comment

That hood was completely shot and in order to revive it we used M105 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

That's about as extreme as you can get.

Most carbon fiber hoods suffer from oxidation of the resin itself and it's a pretty easy fix using M80 Speed Glaze with a DA Polisher.

You can also do this by hand but it's a lot more work and if you want to do it by hand then you probably ought to get the M105 for your oxidation remover and then use a polish like #7 followed by wax.

Do you have a DA Polisher?

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You can also restore your carbon fiber hood by hand with paint cleaners like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner using a piece of terry cloth and some elbow-grease.

The idea is to,

1) Remove the oxidation - Pick one: ScratchX, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, M80 Speed Glaze or M105 Ultra Cut Compound

They all have the ability to remove oxidation, M105 will do it the fastest, followed by M80, followed by ScratchX followed by DCPC

2) After you remove the oxidation, apply a pure polish like #7 to really gorge the polyester resin with polishing oils. Apply this, work it in and wipe it off. The exception would be if you used M80 Speed Glaze because it already has a lot of polishing oils in it so if you use M80 then afterwards you can go straight to wax.

NOTE: ONLY WAXES NEED TO DRY

Every other paint care product is an apply, work the product and then wipe it off.

3) After you apply the #7 and wipe it off, now apply a wax. Let the wax fully dry and then wipe it off and Ta-Da! A brand new looking Carbon Fiber hood. Now maintain this with regular polishing and waxing or it will oxidize again.

Read this,

Carbon Fiber Hood - How to work on?

Page 2 of this thread goes into working on carbon fiber components...
          http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24098

Check out the before and after photos here,

Carbon Fiber Hood Before and After using M80 Speed Glaze

Do you have access to a DA style polisher?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i have a porter cable buffer

Comment

Originally posted by ofl0926 View Post
              i have a porter cable buffer
              Then get some M80 Speed Glaze, find a PBE store in your home town, if they don't have it in stock they can order it for you.

We don't recommend our foam cutting pad for clear coat paints but you can use it on a carbon fiber hood because what you're working on is polyester resin, similar to a Fiberglas boat.

If you carbon fiber hood has an automotive clear coat on it then you wouldn't use the cutting pad because now you're no longer working on polyester resin but would in fact be working on a clear coat finish.

From your picture, it looks like oxidation and that means you don't have a clear coat on the hood thus the polyester resin is oxidizing.

Read this,

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
              Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
              (These are all similar tools)

Most people new to working with a DA Polisher make all the common steps. So be sure to work small sections at at time and make sure the pad is rotating when you're removing oxidation.

Porter Cable polishers tend not to have enough power to rotate a buffing pad once it gets wet with product so make sure your pad is rotating when removing oxidation and if it stops or slows down simply switch to a dry pad and watch the rotating power return.

Our G110 solves this problem as it has more power...

After cleaning and polishing with the M80 Speed Glaze you need to apply some wax.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

From How To Articles

How to locate Meguiar's Professional and Detailer products in your hometown

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thank you my friends

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');