• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Spots

I sometimes wash my car, park it inside the garage without drying it. I read that this will cause water spots.

While I, so far, do not see water spots on my car, I do have a question.

If I park in my garage after driving it in the rain, the car is wet and I certainly will not dry it. Will this cause water spots as well?

Re: Water Spots

Depends upon what's in the water

Might not do anything - (nothing in the water)
    Might leave a mineral deposit - (minerals in the water)
    Might leave a hole in the paint - (some kind of nasty chemical in the water)
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

My understanding is that water spots are caused by the minerals in the water that are left behind when the water evaporates. In addition, if there is any dust on the surface when the drops hit it, that dust will also accumulate where the drops are, and will also be redeposited in a spotty fashion as the water evaporates. How noticable (and potentially damaging to the finish) the water spots are depends upon the concentration and make up of the chemicals and minerals in the water, either that have been transported to your car by the water, or rearranged on your car by the water.

If you've not seen water spots after washing and not drying your car, it would appear that you are using "soft" water to wash the car; water that has either been conditioned to be soft (do you have a whole-house water softening system?) or that is "naturally" soft. Good news - many Car Crazy folks actually pay good money to have soft water with which to wash their cars!

Edit: Mike was typing his reply same time I was :-)
      Last edited by kclundy; Mar 3, 2008, 04:22 PM. Reason: Update to reflect Mike's simulatneous reply.

Comment

The pictures in this thread on the black paint are mineral deposits, we should know, we put the water on our car and let it dry there to take the pictures for the article.

How To Remove Water Spots off Automotive Paints

Type I Water Spots - Mineral deposits sitting on top of the paint

Type II Water Spots - Etchings below the surface

Close-up of same photo above

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Those water spots etched below the surface, how did they get there?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');