• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think I ran into some acid rain... my paint has permanent spots!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I ran into some acid rain... my paint has permanent spots!!!

Title does a good job summarizing it, but to try and make a long story short... I just drove from Miami to Fort Myers last night in my Mustang for my 1.5week vacation. Well I hit a lot of nasty weather before I left, on the way here, and some REALLY nasty rain once we were already settled in the room. So I'm not sure when it happened, but my car got exposed to something that's left permanent etching in my paint.

I went out to the car today at about 4pm, and it has been bright/sunny/no clouds/right off the beach... so whatever was on the paint had some time to get baked in. Needless to say when I walked out I panicked. First thing I did was get mad that the thing was so filthy... then I got closer and realized just how bad it looked. So I took my finger to wipe one of the spots... they had a white milky look so I thought it was still wet or something (the whole car looked like a cow, black car with white spots)... and the spots didn't come off!

I quickly grabbed some QD and a microfiber out of the trunk and sprayed and wiped.... spots still there!! At this point I was fuming and wasn't sure whether to scream out some curse words or sit down and sulk, but I had to get the stuff off the paint... drove around the island, Fort Myers beach is fairly small - and found ONE self car wash. So I go to CVS (the only store around here with a one-shelf automotive section, and buy some Turtle Wax car wash and a beach bucket with a shovel to use at the car wash. I had an absober in my trunk and some clean microfibers to use to wash.

The car wash ended up costing $4 just to use plain water in 6 minutes time!!!! So that made me more mad, but the spots were no longer white... and the car was clean. Most of the spots came off (the roof, front, and sides of the car don't have the spots)... but the top of the trunk, spoiler, hood, fenders, and rear bumper are etched wherever the spots were. They aren't very obvious until the light hits them... then the car looks spotted again.

Any ideas? I really hope these are removable... they feel smooth to the touch so I don't think it's ate through the clear coat or anything... it just looks really really bad, especially with how well I take care of my car and whatnot - it makes me sad/mad just looking at it.

I don't know if it was acid rain or something I went through during a construction zone on the trip here... but whatever it is did a good job screwing up my paintjob. There's also some minor spotting on my rims from the stuff, but they're minor enough that I think a good polish should take care of them. It's also worth mentioning that the spot of the trunk that I buffed last week with my new cheapo-random orbital buffer only had one very small spot on it... I guess the clay/scratchX/polish/wax did a good job protecting the paint.

I think that's it! Sorry for the long post... I'm just here trying to enjoy the first day of my vacation and this is not how I wanted to start it!!
    --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Re: Think I ran into some acid rain... my paint has permanent spots!!!

I'd start buy using a clay bar on it. If that fails you might have to buff them out.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Mabye colorx? You said they are smooth to the touch, so I don't know how effective a clay bar would be.

Comment

Raymond;

What I think happened is besides the rain you ran into. You probably parked next to the sprinkler system in the parking lot. They probably use well water.

A couple of months ago my wife went to visit her mother and when she returned her car looked the same as what you described. My solution was to give it 2 washes. Then I hit it with #66. Since I know you do everything by hand, I would go with the color-x.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I had a similar situation happen while at the beach - I parked in the hotel parking lot, and the sprinlers came on over night - they likely use well water, which that close to the ocean is high in mineral content. Anyway, when I got home, I ended up having to use Scratch-X on the hood and front fenders where the spots were (I, too, work by hand.) Of course, followed that up with some DC-2 and NXT.

Comment

Since you're on this forum, my bet is you have your finish well protected with a Meguiars wax or sealant. Relax and enjoy your vacation. I'm sure further corrective actions can wait for 10 days.

Comment

You need to determine if you have Type I or Type II water spots and then you'll know how to approach removing them.

It will either be through claying or using a paint cleaner.

How To Remove Water Spots off Automotive Paints

They are either mineral deposits "on" the surface, or they are an etching "in" the surface of the paint.

If the paint is in fact etched then you'll need to clean the paint either by hand or machine.

Let's hope it's just mineral deposits on the surface, after washing and drying the car try claying a small area and see if this removes them, if not then try using something like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and work a small section and then inspect.

Let us know...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm still enjoying my vacation despite the spots LOL... I'll be sure to let you know how it comes out when I get back home next week.
                --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Finally got around to getting them off!

Decided to do the whole car and not just the areas with spots.

'Smooth Surface' clay on the horizantal surfaces of the car
                  ScratchX via cheapo random orbital buffer
                  NXT 2.0 coat by hand
                  ICE Spray Detailer to remove left-over wax residue after wiping off the wax

Car looks great now, the spots are gone and the ScratchX helped get rid of a lot of swirling. It's still not perfect but it looks a LOT better than it did before, I'm happy!

Once I snap some pictures I'll be sure to post 'em up here. Thanks again for the help guys.

Comment

Glad everything worked out for you, Raymond. Can't wait for your pics.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for the support man, I just got the pics uploaded here:

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');