• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water spots? wont come off, brand new? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water spots? wont come off, brand new? help

alright, first off heres what my situation is,

my car was repainted 8 months ago. they said i could wax it 3 months after painting. so i did.
    i wax the car once a month (i live near the beach, and thought i would rather waste some product then my paintjob)
    i use NXT 2.0 #26 or gold class

the paint is single stage red metallic. supposed to be base/clear, but thats another story.

until recently the car has looked good. two weeks ago i noticed that after some rain, i had some spots on the hood (water spots) which would appear after the rain dried on the car, only on the roof and hood and trunk. i clayed the car, and waxed it and they were less noticeable, but in direct spotlight i could still see them.

i removed a decal i had on my car for 5 months(after i waxed it the first time i put it on) and the car is ridiculously faded, almost from red to pink.

today it rained all day and dried out after dark. i pulled the car into a garage and the spots are back. they wont remove with clay, wax, or cleaner waxes, but due to the fading of the car i dont want to get to abrasive.

any ideas? ill post pictures relative to the issue tomorrow afternoon if the weather is good.

Re: water spots? wont come off, brand new? help

You can use vinegar. Either wet a rag with vinegar and wipe or for more severe water marks let the rag sit on the paint for a couple minutes, then wipe. Single stage paints will "fade" but are really easy to bring back to a nice shine. I see you have clayed, then apply a non abrasive polish, glaze (#7), then wax. The paint being single stage will need the oils replenished occasionally (i.e. a glaze).

Comment

p.s. do the vinegar trick on a cool panels not in direct sunlight!!!!

Comment

Try Vinegar...

Matt

Comment

Click the link below and read all about water spots, this will help you to determine which type you have and also understand what it it's going to require to remove them.

From our How To Articles forum, (lots of great questions answered here)

How To Remove Water Spots off Automotive Paints

This will also help you to understand what it will take to remove them...

Then, from our Hot Topics forum (Tons of "Hot Topic" questions and answers)

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Meguiar's always recommends,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

So after reading the above to links, go to your local auto parts stores and look for a bottle of #9 Swirls Remove 2.0

This is a very light or gentle cleaner/polish that also has a high concentration of Meguiar's trade secrete polishing oils.

The very light amount of diminishing abrasives in this product may be all that's needed to remove the water spot etchings and as you work the product over the paint the polishing oils will penetrate into the paint and revitalize the color of the paint. Then apply a coat of wax.

If the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 does not remove the water spot etchings you will need to test a more aggressive product but we have plenty of options that are still real safe, so let us know how the #9 works out.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

If your paint is in fact a single stage metallic finish, then after you find a recipe to remove the water spots, for maintenance products you're going to want to check our our #7 Show Car Glaze.

This is a pure polish with the richest concentration of our trade secret polishing oils and famous for the last 80 to 90 years for bringing out the full richness of color in single stage paints.

You apply, work in and then wipe off, it's not a wax so you don't need to let it dry. (Same goes for the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0)

Only waxes need to dry.

Which products need to dry before removing?

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i have all the products mentioned above, but im a bit weary of using them on my single stage paint. i dont want to remove it, and i know it has been put on thinly.

thanks guys, after my classes i will try to get some pictures of the car and the spots of concern.

i have no problem digging into my customers paint because its always factory base.clear never been touched paint, so when i get to work it usually creates a clean slate to work on, and im pretty good with factory paints, so far.

thanks guys! will post pictures soon

Comment

Originally posted by redhotchevy2000 View Post

i dont want to remove it, and i know it has been put on thinly.
                  Move cautiously...

Removing too much paint off a single stage metallic finish can and will change the appearance of the metallic look.

M09 is very gentle if you apply it gently so it's a pretty safe approach if you want to remove the etchings.

Otherwise, stick with #7 Show Car Glaze and your wax of choice and learn to live with the spots and try to avoid more water spots in the future as they will tend to be attracted to the first spots and continue the problem.

Best of luck, looking forward to the pictures....

What are you working on?

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks, it rained this afternoon so no pictures to share.

i work on a lot of different cars actually. ive detailed anything from a broken down old tahoe to a 91 show truck(GMC sierra). most commonly my clients have Newer model Lexus (es 330, ls 460, rx300,rx330) i occasionally have a client with 3 of my favorite vehicles (Aston martin DB9 volante(convertible), Ferrari F40 (handwash only), Lamborghini mucielago-orange, (his daily driver)). i have also had a porsch carerra 4s, Mercedes SL550 silver arrow (2009)-handwash , couple of mini vans, honda accord coupe (white, faded, chalky)-left my shop looking better than new. so many cars i lost count. it helps being piggy backed off of a popular mechanic/ speedshop in the area, i have a thing worked out with them as a contract sort of, they provide the services, anything over XXXXX dollars they ask if the customer would like a complimentary detail, they pay me 85$ and i do the job. then when customers return, i usually charge them 100$ plus shop fees(10$)

Comment

alright i ended up doing the following.

wash the car,
                      clay top surfaces which were affected,
                      #9 (worked a little bit)
                      and then... medium scratch remover? i forget the number and its in my car right now.
                      then i waxed with 2.0

it took the water spots out "enough to satisfy me"

then. two days later.

it rained.
                      spots are back.
                      took the car to the car was the next night.

same process. NO CHANGE. spots are TERRIBLE.
                      what is wrong with this paint!? it has to be the paint. meguiars products have always worked 100% or better for me. this is so frustrating. i want to get rid of these spots and as soon as i do, i want to put a clear bra over the roof and trunk, and hood. i never want to deal with this again. i will have pictures ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');