• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dad's 65 Falcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's 65 Falcon

My dad was storing his Falcon at a friends house because he did not have any room in his garage. Well he finally cleared space so when he went to pick it there was all this junk on top of it. Apparently the friend's family member was using his car as storage. Here is the damage:

Just a pic of the car

Here is the damage to the hood

There is much more damage but this is the worst. I did a test spot to see what I could accomplish. I used the following:

Porter cable
    Clay w/ QD
    M105 w/ 8006
    83 w/ 8006

This is the after. Not perfect by any means but an improvement

Here are a couple of reflection shots:
    Before

After

I imagine the next step would be to use a rotary w/ wool pad or possibly wet sand the hood. I do not have a rotary yet or any experience wet sanding but I am going to get a hold of a salvage hood and start practicing. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Last edited by JSIN151; Oct 26, 2008, 09:17 PM. Reason: punctuation

Re: Dad's 65 Falcon

That is a sweet car. Using it for storage. Shame on them. I see a big improvement with the process you used.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Glad you could restore it!
      It's looking great, keep it up

Comment

Good save, this looks like the original or at least an older re-paint, is this correct?

This looks like dull, oxidized paint which implies it's a single stage paint.

This after shot looks like it may be a metallic? Can you confirm?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thank you

My dad loves this car, he was in the process of restoring it when he ran out of funds but after retiring in a year he plans to finish it.

The car was repainted I believe in 2000 and I believe it is a two stage paint. The pad did was clear no green. I talked to my dad this morning and he has a pint of paint in the trunk. When I get off work I am going to check it out see what paint was used. My dad works in CO so when he gets back in a couple of months we are going to work on it some more.
          Last edited by JSIN151; Oct 27, 2008, 07:26 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

If it's a basecoat/clearcoat system then you probably have the film-build to work with as far as wet-sanding and compounding goes but do practice on something that's not important to you first.

After paint has fully cured it's still easy to sand, the difficult part is removing your sanding marks.

The the clarity in the after pics look good is it orange peel you want to remove?

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I believe when the vehicle was repainted it was wet sanded so there shouldn't be any orange peel but I am not sure. I wanted to know if wet sanding would completely remove the scatches or if a rotary w/ wool would take care of it. Some scratches are deep I can get my finger nail in it. Thanks agains

Comment

Originally posted by JSIN151 View Post
                Mike,

I wanted to know if wet sanding would completely remove the scratches or if a rotary w/ wool would take care of it.

Some scratches are deep I can get my finger nail in it.
                If you can put your fingernail into the scratch then even if you could remove it without going through the clear you still might remove too much paint and cause problems due to too thin of paint down the road.

"Sometimes you're better off to improve a scratch versus completely remove a scratch"

Also, for RIDS which is an acronym for Random Isolated Deeper Scratches, are usually best removed using a technique called Feathersanding, which is where you take some sandpaper and carefully sand on just the scratches and then use a compound with a wool pad on a rotary buffer to remove your sanding marks.

Check out these links,

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Participate in discussion or Start a new Thread for your question regarding the use of Meguiar's UniGrit Finishing Papers or other

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Does your dad plan on suing for the damage? I know I would be.
                  2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the tips much appreciated. I will check out those links and see what I can do.

I don't think my dad is going to sue since he lives mostly in CO and the car is in El Paso.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');