• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once Again - I Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once Again - I Fail

Well, I did it again, wasted another day detailing (i.e. same as my other 8 hour day with my c-class a few weeks ago).

Got my 2009 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 early this week, so I waited all week to Saturday, to get the paint to my liking.

I cleaned it, then clayed entire car. Black car by the way.

Then I used Ultimate Compound over entire car with G110 and yellow 2.0 pad. Tried to do test spots, but in the daylight and shade, the car paint looks decent, my problem comes later. So I kept on continuing. I did the hood about 5 applications of Ultimate Compound and the rest of the car 1-2 applications with multiple passes.

Then I did the flat areas of car with M205, wanted to see if I needed to, but it didn't look any different than areas with Ultimate Compound only.

So then I checked on how #7 would affect it, nice, but not worth it for entire car.

So then I did 2 coats of NXT 2.0 with finishing 2.0 pad and took it off with micro bonnet on a cutting bad.

Looked great in the shade. Appeared somewhat smeary in the sun. I'll work on that tomorrow by using UQD on entire car. Hope that helps.

However, here is my BIG problem: The main problem before I began detailing today is that when it is completely dark outside and my flood lights, flouresant lights, or even a bright flash light goes on the car, if you get down really close, the ENTIRE car pretty much looks covered in "dots." Little dots like a sprinkling of something.

What could it have been? Ultimate Compound, all those super slow passes and everything, all those applications, didn't make it a dent into this issue.

I don't know how I"ll live with my super beautiful car looking like that. In the daytime, it looks ok, and it doesn't really have any swirls yet, which is cool, but these dots at night drive me mad.

Thanks for any ideas! I might just have to haul it to some pro someday or something.

Re: Once Again - I Fail

Is it in the paint, like some paints and clear coats have metalicc stuff in them.
    Pictures might help.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

What black did you get? Mercedes offers a flat black and a metallic black on the SLK.

Check and see what black you got.

One is just called Black and the other is called Metallic Obsidian Black.

Ryan
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Is it just your Metallic in the paint. MB offers a lot of metallic paints....
        Matt

Comment

Last weekend I tried out M205 for the first time on my own car. I noticed at first that there were some white dots as well as some streaking when I first used it. I tried some different techniques, mainly cleaning my pad on the fly, and by the time I was done I didn't have any issues anymore. 205 also seemed to really bring out the metallic in my paint, so it's possible that's what you're seeing. It could be that you were using too much product as well.

Comment

Thanks all.

No this is non-metallic. I am familiar with the metallic one you're speaking of, but not mine. I have the no charge regular black paint.

Also, the dots are larger than a metallic flake.

Next, the product I used didn't cause the problem because they were already there. I was trying to remove them.

So yeah, thats where I'm left.

I tried to take you guys some pictures, but they didn't turn out. I'll try again, when I have a chance, but it will be hard to get these in pictures as most people won't see it, but they're all over the car. It's sad. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Are they flush with the paint or like rock chips?
              Did you clay the surface?
              Hopefully someone can dig up the thread about taking pictures of swirl marks, I could not find it.
              Joel
              Firefighter/EMT-B
              Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
              "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
              '99 F-150

Comment

overyspray?

Comment

Could it be water etching?

Comment

This is where a well-focused picture would really come in handy.

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Do you park under/near a tree? Are they tiny, almost clear, dots you can feel when you run your hand over them?

Comment

Hey,

Do the marks look like pits or like the skin of an orange?
                        Are they above and sitting on top of the surface or down into the clear coat?

Please read Mike's link and then post photos so we can get a better idea what we are dealing with...

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hopefully they don't look like this,

Type II Water Spots - Etchings below the surface

Close-up of same photo above

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

They are sorta like what you posted there Mike, but more solid filled maybe. I also had what you showed right there exactly inside the engine compartment, but using ultimate compound by hand took those right up.

You can't feel them. Paint feels perfect. You really can't even see them in the sun. Sometimes you can just barely get a look, this is why I really can't take a photo.

You have to go out in darkness with lights, to see them and then at a good angle, you see the entire car covered with them.

Finally - Any idea on this other problem I'm having? The paint is all smeary. Today I went ahead and used UQD on the entire thing, to try to see if that would help, but it's still the same way. By smeary I mean, if you just rub your towel (my Meguiars yellow micro fibers) it leaves smeary marks, some if you run the back of your hand, etc. Anything does this, makes it smeary looking. My NXT 2.0 couldn't have been too old or something, no? I even opened a brand new pack of the Meguiar's micro fibers to make sure, and they do the same.

Thanks. Right now I'm thinking I should have gotten the car in the same old boring color of my c-class. ha-ha.

I think with the dots my problem is the paint is too hard to remove them, as well as other light scratches/defects. Will 105 DA safe be stronger than Ultimate Compound Mike?

With the smeary, I have no idea what the problem is.

Comment

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');