• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloudy finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy finish

My friend has a metallic blue 1989 Corvette. The back deck's finish has turned a cloudy white and doesn't respond to normal cleaners nor polishes. We're not sure how to continue and don't want to permantly damage the pait but perhaps it's too little too late. Any ideas?
    Remember it's fiberglas if that matters.

Re: Cloudy finish

Hi Shiny,

Sounds like clear coat failure, that is the clear coat is/has deteriorated past the point of no return. This usually happens from exposure to the sun and elements coupled with little or no good maintanence.

What chemicals have you tried so far?

If you're willing to try one more time, here are the directions that were give to another person in this thread,

Question on why my paint is cloudy?

The idea being to test a product and process to a small area and see if you can make a small area look good. If you can, then duplicate this process over the entire car, if you can't, then arn't you glad you didn't attempt the entire car without checking. By testing, you can see if the paint can be fixed at all.

Here you go...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    When I first answered your question the photo wasn't showing up?

I took the liberty of retrieving it and uploading it to our gallery so I could for sure insert it here and not only can I now see it but everyone else can too...

From the photo, it looks like your finish need to be cleaned really well with a paint cleaner first and then try applying the NXT Tech Wax. If you don't already have some, go down to the local auto parts store and pick up a tube of ScratchX.

Take and apply ScratchX to about a one foot squared section on the same panel you're sharing in your picture. Apply it and work it into and against the paint thoroughly and then wipe it off.

Next apply a thin layer of NXT Tech Wax over just this section and then allow it to fully dry until it swipes clear. Then with a clean, soft microfiber wipe the wax off and compare this small section with the rest of the hood. Even take a picture of your results and share that.

Also, if you have not clayed this paint, that should be the first order of business after washing the car and before applying anything else to the paint.

From the picture, either your paint has been neglected and is stained, oxidized and dirty and there for needs a PRE-WAX CLEANER, or this is a sign of clear coat failure and the finish is in the process of deteriorating.

NXT Tech Wax is not a cleaner/wax and either our paint needs to be cleaned in order to get good results, or it's past the point of no return.

Hope this helps...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Cloudy finish

Type the words,

Clear Coat Failure

Into the search function and you get a plethora of information on this topic, suffice to say, if the car you're working does in fact have clear coat failure, then the only honest repair it to repaint the car.

Here's a few...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...r+coat+failure

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');