• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Order

I just want to ensure I'm doing my annual Spring Detailing in the correct order.

Step One: Under The Hood Cleaning (gotta make the Hemi look good). What is the best product to use for this? I've heard Simple Green, but I've also heard it's murder on your paint if you get it on it.

Step Two: Wash car with Dawn to get ride of old wax.

Step Three: Clay Bar

Step Four: Scratch-X (door is swirled from where I had it repainted last summer)

Step Five: Re-wash with Gold Class

Step Six: NXT Spray Wax

Did I leave anything out? My car is Bright Yellow (see below)

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona
    TopBanana #321/4000

Re: Correct Order

Sorry, newbie mistake, I didn't see the entire catagory for under hood cleaning....found my correct information for how to clean under the hood there. Just make sure the alternator is covered, correct?

The battery on the Dodge Chargers is in the trunk.

All Purpose Cleaner 10:1 or 4:1 if to light - to clean
    Safe D-Greaser - clean grease if its caked on
    Microfibres x 3 - to wipe off excess product
    Soft Brush - for some surfaces
    Hyper Dressing 4:1 - to coat it afterwards to make it shine
    TopBanana #321/4000

Comment

First off... Nice car! I love those!

Next... Step away from the dish soap. I know you have probably read before somewhere to use it. But it is way to harsh for automotive paint. If you want to clean before your detail use something like DC1.

Check out the List O Links. Should be a ton of info there to help you. The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle is a good one.

Cant wait to see photos when your done!
      Scott

Comment

First off, NICE CAR. that looks beaut.

Okay now on to the subject of this thread.

Originally posted by DaytonaCharger View Post
        I just want to ensure I'm doing my annual Spring Detailing in the correct order.

Step One: Under The Hood Cleaning (gotta make the Hemi look good). What is the best product to use for this? I've heard Simple Green, but I've also heard it's murder on your paint if you get it on it.

Step One: For cleaning under you engine, take a look at some of these threads below.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18842

and this one too...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19650

The common products and the products I use are the following.

All Purpose Cleaner at 10:1 and Safe D-Greaser at least 7:1 if not 10:1
        A Soft Brush
        Hose and a good sponge.
        Supreme Shine MF to wipe off
        Hyper Dressing for that shine

You spray a mist over the engine to get it a little wet. Don't spray directly. Then spray on APC and let it sit for a bit. Then agitate it with the brush and then wipe spray it with some water and dry it with an MF. If APC isn't cutting it you might have to use Safe D-Greaser in some spots. Process is the same. Then dress it with a nice dressing like Hyper Dressing 4:1 to make it shine and look brand new.

Step Two: Wash car with Dawn to get ride of old wax.
        I wouldn't and won't recommend using Dawn as a soap for your car. Its dish soap not Car Wash Soap. I say go get yourself a bottle of NXT Car Wash or Gold Class Car Wash and you'll be better off. Its up to you though in the end but a lot of guys around here will probably agree with me. Its dish soap for a reason and not Dish and Auto Soap. know what i mean.

Step Three: Clay Bar
        Correct. Clay the entire car's surface. Evaluate your finish first to see if it needs claying. Take a sandwich bag, place your hand over it, and feel the finish of your vechile. if it feels rough to the touch then you're in need of some clay loving. Get yourself a Clay Kit with a clay bar and Quik Detailer spray and go nuts. Cut the clay bar you get with that kit in half. Knead it into a ball and then flatten into a pancake. Put the other half in a soap bar plastic holder and spary some QD in there or in a ziploc bag. Lubricate both the vechile and the clay bar and work in small sections say 10 x 10 and move the clay bar in side to side, back and forth motions. IF YOU DROP THAT CLAY. THROW IT OUT. Every once and a while, depending on how bad your finish is, stop and examine the clay bar. if you see contaminants in it, pick them out and then knead the clay into a ball again, and then flatten into a pancake.

Dry off the vechile as you go with a Microfibre.

Step Four: Scratch-X (door is swirled from where I had it repainted last summer)
        Are you working by hand here or with machine?

If by hand you'll have to use Scratch-X.

If by machine you can get yourself some M80 and that should do the job. Using a machine is more effective and a lot more fun. M80 is part of the Pro Line and i'm not sure if you can find those products where you are.

Your process would change as well if you're doing it by hand or machine.

If you are going at it by hand you would do this.

Wash
        Clay
        Scratch - X
        NXT x 2 or wax of your choice.

If you're doing it by machine then you could go like this.

wash
        clay
        M80
        #7 - optional. that's the beauty with m80 its got plenty of polishing oils in it that you can skip this step if you want. it won't hurt to add it in though.
        NXT x 2 or wax of your choice.

Step Five: Re-wash with Gold Class
        No need to rewash after using scratch-x. just go to the next step.

Step Six: NXT Spray Wax
        after a full detail, like the process above, i'd skip the spray wax and use NXT Wax. use the spray wax in between wax jobs to bring back that shine. but for this once, use the wax and then once a week when you wash it use spray wax to maintain.

Here are some links that you will find useful.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
        What it Means to Remove a Scratch
        Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher
        Need Help! - How to Avoid Holograms?
        How to Avoid Swirls and Holograms?
        How To Remove Swirls By Hand
        How To Wash Your Car using the Two Bucket
        Method

How To Clay Paint
        How to Get Great Results Using Meguiar's Spray Waxes
        Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
        How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
        [b][URL=http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1504][color=blue]How to locate Meguiar

Comment

really covering parts of the engine is a long debate.

i don't think you have to cover anything. some people do. some pro detailers on here don't cover anything.

my g/f's dad, a car builder said its not necessary.

if anything, the distrubition box.

Comment

I'll be applying the Scratch-X by hand....bank account won't allow for a nice DA right now.

So if you don't recomend Dawn, what should I use for the first wash to strip off the old wax? Under a normal wash I'd never dream of using that on my car, but I've read other places that for the best wax job you should first strip off the old wax using Dawn.

I started a thread yesterday about paste/liquid vs Spray Wax. My car has really big matte-black vinyl decals on it and I'm afraid of the paste/liquid leaving a haze on the decals. A forum member here with a truck with a vinyl stripe recommended I try it in a small space first to see what happens, but just in case.....
            TopBanana #321/4000

Comment

I'm pretty sure my 6S could stand a good claying (I doubt the previous owner ever did it). Is there such a thing as "too much" when it comes to claying?

Thanks!

-Anthony

Comment

I'll be applying the Scratch-X by hand....bank account won't allow for a nice DA right now.

So if you don't recomend Dawn, what should I use for the first wash to strip off the old wax? Under a normal wash I'd never dream of using that on my car, but I've read other places that for the best wax job you should first strip off the old wax using Dawn.

I started a thread yesterday about paste/liquid vs Spray Wax. My car has really big matte-black vinyl decals on it and I'm afraid of the paste/liquid leaving a haze on the decals. A forum member here with a truck with a vinyl stripe recommended I try it in a small space first to see what happens, but just in case.....
                If you dont mind spending some time to get results. Pick up some DC1 & DC2. The DC1 is a cleaner and DC2 is a polish. Then finish off with your favorite wax. A liquid or paste wax will last much longer than a spray. The spray wax is intended just to boost the layer of wax you already have on.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by PureMuscle View Post
                  I'm pretty sure my 6S could stand a good claying (I doubt the previous owner ever did it). Is there such a thing as "too much" when it comes to claying?

Thanks!

-Anthony
                  to much what? QD or clay?

Comment

Go get yourself a jug of NXT Car Wash. That's what I use and I really like it. Works really well.

And since you're doing Scratch- X by hand you can do the following.

Wash
                    Clay
                    Scratch-X
                    NXT x 2

and as mentioned below once you get rid of the swirls you can use the DC system.

Wash
                    Clay
                    DC1
                    DC2
                    NXT x 2

about the decals. were they applied after market or at the factory. if at the factory you should have no problems. if after market check with the dealer.

if you're worried about wax build up on the edges, just tape them off and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TrufflePig View Post
                      Go get yourself a jug of NXT Car Wash. That's what I use and I really like it. Works really well.

And since you're doing Scratch- X by hand you can do the following.

Wash
                      Clay
                      Scratch-X
                      NXT x 2

and as mentioned below once you get rid of the swirls you can use the DC system.

Wash
                      Clay
                      DC1
                      DC2
                      NXT x 2

about the decals. were they applied after market or at the factory. if at the factory you should have no problems. if after market check with the dealer.

if you're worried about wax build up on the edges, just tape them off and you'll be fine.

They are factory installed on the Daytona Chargers. Pretty much everything black on this car is matte-black vinyl sticker with a slight texture to it.

TopBanana #321/4000

Comment

You might want to read this thread... Remove wax from Hemi decal
                        Scott

Comment

Yea, I saw that thread yesterday, but the guy never posted a follow-up to it to say how it worked for him.
                          TopBanana #321/4000

Comment

Hope you dont mind but I started a new thread on the topic of the Matte Decals. It is something I have been wondering for awhile too. Hopefully we can get some input.
                            Scott

Comment

More information on car detailing is never a bad thing man

I've already learned so much just from the 2 days I've been reading this forum. I can't wait until my Big Weekend of Detailing gets here. Was hoping for next weekend, but it's only going to be in the low 40's.
                              TopBanana #321/4000

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');