• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are holograms and buffer swirls the norm for a BRAND NEW BLACK CAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are holograms and buffer swirls the norm for a BRAND NEW BLACK CAR?

Are holograms and buffer swirls the norm for a BRAND NEW BLACK CAR?

I just got a new black car on Friday. It is buffer swirl, and holograms galore.

Is that just going to be the norm with a black car... or did the dealership's detailers just do a terrible job detailing?

Re: Are holograms and buffer swirl the norm for a black car?

In a perfect world there should be no swirls in a new car or a brand new paint job.

As the car is improperly touched, it will gain swirls no matter what the color. Clear coats are harder paints than traditional single stage paints but scratch very easily and then because the swirls and scratches are in a clear layer of paint over the top of a colored layer of paint they show up to your eyes very easily.

Swirls are the norm for a daily driver if it's not meticulously cared for, this mean you can't take it to a car wash you have to take ownership of the car washing process yourself. (Car washing is "touching the paint).

Welcome to clear coats...
    Welcome to clear coated black cars...

Is it too late to take it back for a silver metallic paint? Silver is harder to see the swirls because in the sun it kind of blinds you to look at it.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

They sure don't come that way from the factory. You got what is called....DISO. Dealer Installed Swirl Option.
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Can you share a picture?

How to capture pictures of swirls in your car's paint

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I will post a picture shortly. Just moved to Cali from NY and have a million things to do.

I don't so much have a problem with the cob-webs, as I do the holograms. Are they essentially the same thing but just spotted close up versus from a distance?

I do think it is too late to return the car for silver. And I actually do want a black one. Is there anything I can make the dealer do to repair this? It really does look like a crappy buffer job.

Comment

Swirls, scratches, cobwebs are all the same idea. Some just in more of a pattern, and deper than others.

If they did it bad once, they might just do it bad again. Too many bad jobs, and you'll be through the clear coat.

What kind of car is it? If you plan to care for your car a lot anyway, could be just as easy to do it yourself.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by glacon View Post
              Is there anything I can make the dealer do to repair this? It really does look like a crappy buffer job.
              If you truely want this corrected, as Mike stated above, you must take ownership for the care of the paint on your vehicle. With the right tools and products (and you found the right place to learn what those are) you will eventually be able to maintain a finish on your vehicle that is to YOUR standards, not some dealership detailers standards. And you will find what works best and easiest for you. Eventually, you'll become obsessed and so on and then welcome to the club!!!!!!

Comment

As stated, if they couldn't do it right the first time they likely can't and won't do it right the second time, they'll just add some kind of wax to try to fill them in to make you happy when you pick up the car.

Later after you wash the car enough the swirls will show up again.

We can show you how if you want to attend one of our classes, the requirement is membership on the forum and reply to the sign-up thread.

2008 Saturday Detailing Class Schedule

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The service manager at the dealership says they actually have a guy who specializes in detailing black cars. I said I would stop buy and show him the problem and talk to him about fixing it...but that I was very apprehensive about letting them touch the car again. Can you guys recommend any questions I can ask this guy to see if he is any good? Any thing I can do to feel him out?

Comment

You can certainly ask what products, what techniques.... let him show you one test spot....

Of course you would have to worry about the swirls just being covered, as mentioned above.

Comment

My daily driver has been a black Accord for going on 8 years. This is the fourth time I've sworn this will be my last black car. But there's something about them, when all cleaned up and swirl free. You just stand back and say Wow!

Regardless of how careful I am in the washing process-two bucket wash, lambswool mit, Goldclass soap, micro towels, etc, etc, sooner or later, I'll end up with swirls. So, I've succumbed to the realization that once a quarter I'm in for a full Clay/M83/M80/Wax job. I haven't run into swirls yet that this routine won't correct using a G110 and polishing pad.

Megs makes some fantastic products that will almost always correct the problem at hand. But it takes patience and perseverance to achieve the look you're after.

As for what to ask the dealer, frankly, I wouldn't trust them to do any better than they've already done. Regardless of what they may tell you. The clear coat on your new car is a precious commodity and you don't want someone else grinding away on it any more than is absolutely necessary.

Take some time and explore this forum. There is a ton of excellent information here and some darn nice folks willing to help you along the path.

Comment

And as a newbie to all this, can you give me some examples of good products to use, and what techniques would best serve getting the swirls out?

Comment

Here are some links that will show the proper steps, and techniques that we would use by hand and machine to deal with swirls, and car care in general.

You'll notice that we really dont use a rotary buffer for basic swirl removal, he certainly may, which is a whole nother set of variables, along with his skill level, etc.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
                          Step 1 Wash
                          Step 2 Clean
                          Step 3 Polish
                          Step 4 Protect
                          Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Comment

I just moved to Santa Monica from NY. My apartment complex here does not have a great set up for me detailing my own car. Any suggestions on places around town I could work on repairing the swirls? Any recommendations for a top-notch detailer who could do the work for me?

Comment

Wow, finding a good detailer online is hard. If I talk to this place my dealership is recommending, I am going to ask hem how long they think it will take them to get all of the swirls out. Is 5-8 hours the correct answer?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');