• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few newb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few newb questions

hoping someone could help me out with a few thing...
    this is basically my first time buffing/polishing

my setup PC
    2.0 cutting pad
    2.0 polishing pad
    2.0 finishing pad
    m80
    deep crystal polish
    and yellow 16

so i started out with the cutting pad and m80 and it definitely did what i wanted it to do and that was remove all the swirl marks. they were really bad. i apply some of the m80 to the pad then spread it around without it on, then turn it on and make a quick pass. then i work it in with slow passes for about a minute in a 16x16 area on setting 5. does that sound correct?

anyway here are my questions

1. i still have some scratches in the paint, they look like regular clear coat scratches cause there is still black paint under it. SO what would be a stronger polish? or would a different approach do it?

2. i am assuming i use the deep crystal polish with the polishing pad. is that correct? i did this and it left a haze..this was on setting 5

3. i use the wax with the finishing pad right?

4. what is this and how do i get rid of it? the pics look like its just primer but if you look at it in person it looks like its just the clear coat thats like that.

BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE

Re: Few newb questions

one more thing..is there any special way to attach the pads to the backing plate? mine keeps lifting on one side if im not on a flat surface and starts to move

Comment

Hi Brett, I don't have a lot of time right now to fully answer your questions but let me try to address a few of them briefly.

For starters, the scratches in your first picture look as if they may be deep enough to feel with your fingernail- have you tried that? If that is the case they are likely so deep into the clear coat the most you will want to safely do is minimize them, and not fully remove them in my opinion.

If not, you may want to bump it up to #83 for the deeper scratches. It has more bite than #80, and will need to be followed by #80 with the polishing pad.

Question #2: The Deep Crystal Polish does not contain any abrasives, as it is a pure polish designed to add crucial oils and gloss to the paint- not to remove defects.

You will need to go back over the hazed area with the #80 and the polishing pad to remove the haze before you use the Deep Crystal Polish.

Question #3: Waxes or sealants go with a NO CUT pad. Remember, it is really fairly simple if you think about it- when you are waxing you are just adding a layer of protection, so think of the pad that would be most logical to accomplish that- the finishing pad.

Question #4: Those look like water spots to me, so take a look at this: How to Diagnose and Fix Water Spots

Question #5: There is no special way to attach the pads, and you shouldn't be having that problem. Can you describe it more carefully? I think it may be a partial separation of the backing from the pad causing that as I had a similar issue.

To avoid this, make sure not to run the PC while the pad is NOT in contact with the surface of the car or a towel during cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Comment

Hi Brett! Welcome to MOL.

I'll be the first to say it; the dual action machine does not have enough power/torque/cutting action to completely address all your issues as shown. I would get some #83 DACP and apply several slow passes (speed 5). Remember, #83 has diminishing abrasives, so you'll want to work it long enough for the particles to break down and actually polish the surface.

Good Luck.

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

2. i am assuming i use the deep crystal polish with the polishing pad. is that correct? i did this and it left a haze..this was on setting 5.

I am a beginner myself, but I believe (please correct me, folks, if I'm wrong) that DC Polish, being a pure polish, should be applied with a finishing pad at speed 3 (see Pad and Speed Recommendations). The idea is to massage the polish into the paint, not to correct the paint. M-80, on the other hand, would be applied with a polishing pad at speed 5.

I have found particularly helpful Mike's Tips and Techniques.

I'm sure you already know all of this, Brett.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

thank you mark, jimmy, and akimel for the help..answered my questions perfectly.

i think i will pick up some 83 and try that out. i dont think i will go any higher then that

i thought it was water spots but i guess as jimmy said the PC isnt strong enough to get them out. but ill try again with the 83. i dont think ill be trying a rotary buffer out dont want more defects! i can live with some spots..it already has done an amazing job and looks great

yes the pad is partial separating from the backing plate which makes it hard to get into corners. either the pad stops spinning or i loosen up on the pressure and the pad flys off..it only seems to be happening with the cutting pad though. but i havent fully tried the other pads.

i believe i understand it all now..

1st would be the 83 or 80 with the cutting pad
            2nd would be the 80 with polishing pad
            3rd would be the DC polish with finishing pad
            4th would be the 26 wax with finishing pad

thanks again

Comment

Looks like you got it now Brett, glad we could help.

Keep us posted, and as always we LOOOVE pictures!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');