• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isopropyl Alcohol Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isopropyl Alcohol Question

I went to buy some ISA the other day and found that there were two different concentrations available - 76% and 91% (may be slightly off on the %'s). Two questions - which one is recommended for checking swirl removal and does it need to be diluted before applying to an area?

Thanks.
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Re: Isopropyl Alcohol Question

I get the 91% stuff and mix it 1:1 with water.
    Scott

Comment

Don't think there's ever been any "Official Recommendation" from all the powers that be so here you go...

The official recommendation for which concentration of Isopropyl Alcohol to purchase when mixing a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and water for stripping paint for inspection is to purchase the standard 91% concentration version.

There, you read it here first.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Actually, this topic was addressed a year or so ago in these two threads although I don't think they were ever positioned with the official annoiting...

From 2007...

Worried the Dealership instill Swirls into my new paint job?

M83 rocks with a rotary! What next?

From 2008

I may have screwed up my 1999 Corvette

Note the below bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol is the 90% Alcohol version, not the 50% version, this way when you mix it with water you have closer to a true 50% mixture of water to alcohol and one bottle plus the water will fill up the nice Rubbermaid generic spray bottle. It's about the same price as the weaker version and can be found at most Target stores as can the Rubbermaid spray bottle.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I was only ever able to get the 70-75%.

Didn't know there was a 90%

Now,i can't get either.

Comment

Eddie, I could get 99% here... I mixed it 1:1 with distilled water for checking my polishing progress. I had some solution contact my bleeding wound and man was it painful! Because of this experience, I dilute my alchol with more water, just in case I get some on my wounds.

70% works too of course. Just dilute it less to make the alcohol content stronger.

Comment

Didn't know there was 99%?

If you look at the pic in Mike's thread,that example is the 70% that I was able to get in the past.

Comment

I use cheap tequila

Comment

You can get 1/2 gallon of 70% at Walgreens for $3: http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...propyl+alcohol
                  AeroCleanse, LLC
                  Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                  www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
                    You can get 1/2 gallon of 70% at Walgreens for $3: http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...propyl+alcohol

If I wanted to order 1/2 gallon here,it would cost me about $30!

Can you believe that!..... I can't order less than a gallon. $60's please.

That's why I don't buy it. It's just not a popular thing here. In the past,I could at least buy 1/2 a litre,which was okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                      If I wanted to order 1/2 gallon here,it would cost me about $30!
                      What about wax and grease remover from a body shop supply store?

Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes is the leading manufacturer and distributer of high-quality paint and coating systems for automotive and fleet refinishing industries.

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post

Walgreens Apothecary Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol 70%
                        Size/Count 16.0oz.

Price 2/$3.00

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                          Eddie, I could get 99% here... I mixed it 1:1 with distilled water for checking my polishing progress. I had some solution contact my bleeding wound and man was it painful! Because of this experience, I dilute my alchol with more water, just in case I get some on my wounds.

70% works too of course. Just dilute it less to make the alcohol content stronger.
                          Well at least your wound was cleaned, haha!
                          -HealthyCivic
                          Check out the glossary

Comment

Let's just say that someone forgot to dilute IPA 1:1 with water, what would happen?
                            BobbyG

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyG View Post
                              Let's just say that someone forgot to dilute IPA 1:1 with water, what would happen?

id have to say......nothing. just a good old stripping of wax.

ive used IPA just straight out of the bottle with no bad effects at all.
                              Addicted

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');