• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where to position lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to position lights?

I have a white dodge charger that has some light/medium swirls and i will work on them using a DA polisher and M83 / M80

I also bought a 500 W dual halogen light.

I noticed that when the car is under the sun i can easily see the swirls but at night when lighting the car with the halogen lights is difficult to really see all the swirls i see under the sun.

I know the withe color doesn't help to spot the swirls but is there any trick on where to position the halogen lamp to better see the swirls?

Re: where to position lights?

Did it come with a stand?

I just use the halogens slightly off to the side and start polishing where the light is focused. The light is far enough back that it doesn't heat the paint, though.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Im just curious, and not to thread jack but does it matter on the wattage?

Comment

Some halogens are rated at a higher wattage, but they have more bulbs.

For example, my 1300w work light has four bulbs (two 500w's and two 150w's). Others just have two 500w's.

A brighter light can help detect more defects, but they cost more.

The only reason I purchased the 1300w setup was because they were out of the 1000w. But, I think the 1300w really shows everything.

Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

^ How do you get your camera to focus on the paint and not the reflection of the lamps?

I have a point and shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by energumeno View Post
            I know the withe color doesn't help to spot the swirls but is there any trick on where to position the halogen lamp to better see the swirls?
            See if you can one of these and when you use it hold it about a foot to a foot and a half away from the paint.

Last time I was in Pep Boys the had the exact Brinkman Flashlight you want to get for around $25.00

Here's what you're looking for...

Be wary... the Xeon Flashlight aka The Swirl Finder... is a Cruel Master
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post
              ^ How do you get your camera to focus on the paint and not the reflection of the lamps?

I have a point and shoot.
              I use one of two techniques. Either point your finger to the paint (touching the paint) and let the camera focus on your finger or the better way is to lay a piece of tape on the paint's surface and try to get the camera to focus on the tap. That will show the defects (or lack there of) the best.
              Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

Originally posted by danponjican View Post
                I use one of two techniques. Either point your finger to the paint (touching the paint) and let the camera focus on your finger or the better way is to lay a piece of tape on the paint's surface and try to get the camera to focus on the tap. That will show the defects (or lack there of) the best.
                There's actually a thread on this technique here,

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wattage really doesn't matter. I have a single bulb 150w Halogen that shows everything. Those Xenon Hand Lights are nice for taking pics, but you can't have them on while polishing.

You just have to find the right angle where you can see the swirls.

Read Mike's link as well
                  Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');