• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Product to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Product to use

Hi Gang,

OK, '09 black challenger RT, swirl marks and slight scratches which are driving me NUTS! lol. tried another private owned product and it was no good.

Question is should I use SCRATCHX® 2.0 or SWIRLX or ?
    should also mention I am a little nervious about the MEGUIAR'S® DUAL ACTION POLISHER and would like to try by hand first.

I used the dawn soap and clayed bar the car this spring.

Cheers
    Brian
    P.S. i want the paint perfect!
    Last edited by Brian09RT; May 12, 2009, 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Which Product to use

Originally posted by Brian09RT View Post

OK, '09 black challenger RT, swirl marks and slight scratches which are driving me NUTS! lol.

should also mention I am a little nervous about the MEGUIAR'S® DUAL ACTION POLISHER and would like to try by hand first.

P.S. i want the paint perfect!
    From the above, you have a new car with swirls and scratches, you want the paint perfect, you want to work by hand.

It would be faster and more effective to learn how to use the Dual Action Polisher because this little tool will give you better results faster than working by hand which is actually working with your 4 fingertips, not you're entire hand.

Here's an example of what we mean, the 4 spots where there's more accumulated red paint is because you always tend to apply more pressure to your fingertips when firmly rubbing paint out by hand.

You get the same effect when rubbing out a basecoat/clearcoat finish except you won't see any pigment and you won't see the 4 spots where most of the paint came off because the top layer of paint is clear. It's still happening just the same. So working by hand is not really working with the entire face of your hand or the entire face of an applicator pad, it's basically working with your 4 fingertips. You can consciencely hold your hand flat to the pad and spread more pressure out over the face of your fingers which will increase the work are of the applicator pad but most people don't do this and most people put most of the pressure on their fingertips.

Working out scratches from a clear coat finish means only working a small section at a time, about a foot squared or smaller until you've worked enough small sections to completely go around the car.

So doing this,

Until you've done the above to small sections all the way around the car and then it still requires excellent technique to remove enough of your car's clear paint to level the surface.

See this thread,
    What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Now working with a DA Polisher gives you equal pressure over the entire face of the foam pad which results in better and faster cleaning or abrading action and best of all the machine never gets tired so you bet better results, and more uniform results faster.

Just some things to consider as many people, like you are worried about burring the paint or swirling the paint if they work by machine and that's just not the case when it comes to a tool like this because it has a clutch which stops the paint from being burned or swirled.

The more you hang out on this forum the more you'll read and learn about the clutch which is a safety feature everyone loves, and then you'll learn about the clutch which limits how aggressive the tool is, people tend to love the safety factor but dislike the reduced power it causes and never seem to understand the two things go hand in hand.

Anyway, if you really want to rub your car's finish out by hand and you want perfecting you're going to want to perfect your technique for removing small particles of paint by hand and this can be done but it does take a little practice.

You'll want to pick up a bottle of SwirlX and Ultimate Compound and start testing both out on your car's paint.

You'll also want to pick up plenty of foam applicator pads like these to apply the products and you want plenty on hand, so stock up whenever you find them for sale.

X3070 Soft Foam Applicator Pad

Take and do a Test Spot with the SwirlX first and check you're results, if it looks like the SwirlX and you're skill and ability to work the product over the surface is giving you the results you want then continue around the car with the SwirlX.

If it doesn't look like the SwirlX is removing the swirls and scratches effectively enough the TEST the Ultimate Compound.

Dial in a process that gives you the results you want to one small area and after you've proven your system to work on your car's paint simply duplicate the process over the entire car.

TEST SPOT

Doing A Test-Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

What you said makes a lot of sense Mike, I think I will reconsider my method and look into getting a DA Polisher....any sales upcoming?

Cheers
      Brian

Comment

Ok, I have decided to order the DA Polisher.

Where should i start the learning process?
        May I have some links on proper use please.

Thank You
        Brian

Comment

Try this: Meguiars Training Video

Also more good training videos on the Meguiar's USA YouTube Channel site

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');