• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not happy with results

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not happy with results

Hello,

I have emailed Blake Beamish & Michael Stoops from customer care but i have not recieved a email back in about 2 weeks.
    I own a bran new 08 white civic , i always hand wash it by hand using the appropriate cloths. my car was swirl free but now its not.

I followed these steps.
    1. Prewash
    2. Smooth Surface Clay Kit Item # G1016
    3. ScratchX 2.0 Item # G10307
    4. Meguiar's Step 1 Deep Crystal Cleaner
    5. Meguiar'sĀ® Step 2 Polish
    6. NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste Item # G12711
    7. Gold Class Endurance Item # G7410
    8. NXT GenerationĀ® Car Wash Item # NXT 18

I have washed my car about 3 times using these steps, I use NXT Generation Car Wash in between waxing ect.
    I have a tonne of fine scratches and swirl marks all over my car even after i wax. the car shines but if u put a light to the paint u can see a insane amount of swirls n scratches.
    My paint was perfect on my car a couple months ago, now it looks like it 5 years old.
    My car shines insane but i want the very light swirls out, ive scratch x 2.0 and that didnt even work!
    I'm not really happy with the results of my paint from using Meguiars products, it ruined it.
    I spent over 200 bucks on your products, my paint should be perfect.

Re: Not happy with results

What kind of applicators did you use, and what kind / brand of towels did you remove the products with?

ScratchX 2.0 might be a bit too strong for paint in good condition. Frankly, I've never used it for a complete detail...just for scratches.
    r. b.

Comment

Hi,

I emailed Mike Stoops for you, and I am sure he will respond. I don't think it was the products you used but maybe your technique also a little bit.

Check this thread out here:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

There is no need to wash between steps. You should clay, you could use the paint cleaner if you wanted to but you could skip that step. Polish, use scratchx for scratch removal, scratchx is also a polish, then go to your LSP(last step product), or your NXT wax. You also need to let NXT cure before washing again.

Also, what kind of wash mitt or sponge are you using. What kind of applicators are you using? What are you using to remove your polishes/waxes?

If scratchx isn't working, you may need to step up to Ultimate Compound, or Swirlx. I am assuming you are working by hand correct?

Andy M.
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Aguila View Post
        I spent over 200 bucks on your products, my paint should be perfect.
        Not necessarily (let's remember that not all paint systems are created equal). The technique/the way you use them is going to be a huge factor too. OTC, try stepping up to something more aggressive like Ultimate Compound and/or SwirlX as they can be used both by hand and D/A (do a test spot so you know what will be the best choice). Also, I would recommend getting a G110 (every detailer should own a D/A IMO) as you will achieve quicker and better results more than your hands could ever achieve and you won't have sore arms the next day LOL.

Comment

Hey I use meguiars hand pads for applying wax n polish and microfiber towels for removing. I always use quality rags n pads.

I know what im doing, I have read alot of this forum and waxed many many cars. I love detailing.

I dont understand why i have swirls. I have tried scratch x 2 times on my hood, it doesnt work.

There not even deep swirls just light!

Andy I have read that thread a long long long time ago.

The polish im using should remove the swirls but its not, the tech wax wont even hide the swirls.

i can take slr pics if you dont believe me, i was gonna the last time because of this issue im having.

I think its impossible to remove swirls by hand and I need a polisher.

My car is just shiny and beads water like crazy, I want it to be flawless

Comment

The kind of finish you are desiring may only be possible with a machine.

However, it might be worth a try to use a product with diminishing abrasives, such as #80, or #82. I don't think DC1 has any abrasives in it (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I believe it relies more on chemicals to do its cleaning with.
            r. b.

Comment

I have a Brand new Honda Insight(NightHawk Black Pearl),which I bought in April.Since then It has been washed at least 10-15 times.It was clayed,cleaned,polished and waxed using the DC1,2 & 3 after I bought it.Two days ago I did the same again,intead using NXT techwax 2.0 for the choice of wax.The result is awsome! This car is a daily driver and is never garaged,so i expect some scratches...and black shows everything.

ScratchX 2.0,I'd only use for swirls and isolated scratches.

It sounds like something is wrong in your process,somewhere? Possibly during washing and drying? The products that you mention:Nxt shampoo,quik clay,DC 1 & 2 and the tech wax have nothing in them to do scratching or swirling unless there is something wrong elsewhere.

Did you use plenty of quik detailer when you were claying? I use nearly a full bottle for my civic or insight.

Comment

I own a brand new 08 white civic
                As you've already found out...this is traditionally very soft paint and will swirl and mar relatively easily.

I followed these steps.
                1. Prewash
                2. Smooth Surface Clay Kit Item # G1016
                3. ScratchX 2.0 Item # G10307
                4. Meguiar's Step 1 Deep Crystal Cleaner
                5. Meguiar'sĀ® Step 2 Polish
                6. NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste Item # G12711
                7. Gold Class Endurance Item # G7410
                8. NXT GenerationĀ® Car Wash Item # NXT 18
                I see a lot of responses about applicators and different products and techniques and so forth. Curious how no one has picked up on a glaring omission in your technique detailed above...drying. Drying is typically where most of the swirls and fine marring are introduced during the washing regimen as you are rubbing the paint with little or no lubrication.

How do you dry the car? Air compressor or blower? Drying towels or microfibers? Synthetic or natural chamois perhaps? Or an Absorber or Sham Wow type cloth? Are you using the wipe or blotting method?

Also, if you are following the steps in the exact order you described above, there are some things you should alter. Since we've established your paint is both soft and scratch-sensitive the less you rub and abrade it the better. Following SwirlX with the DC-1 Paint Cleaner is useless as it is a nonabrasive, chemical-based cleaner and really won't remove anything the SwirlX did not. Also the DC-2 Polish is a purely optional step and more than likely not needed on a brand new car. So removing those two steps means you'll be rubbing all over the car once and not three seperate times...big benefit when trying to avoid inducing damage to a sensitive finish.

In addition, just because it says "SwirlX" on the bottle doesn't mean it will remove all swirls...especially by hand. Your defects may be of a nature and depth that require something like Ultimate Compound. Also, working by hand introduces so many variables into your technique from hand alignment and pressure to applicator material and contamination. If you now have swirls all over the car it may be time to look into a ROB polisher like a PC7424 or G110 to tackle the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
                  As you've already found out...this is traditionally very soft paint and will swirl and mar relatively easily.
                  Not trying to disagree with you, but I was under the impression that Japanese paint (especially white paint) was rather hard.

My brother owns a white Toyota Camry, and his paint is very hard.
                  r. b.

Comment

Hi Rusty,

Many Japanese auto plants have retrofitted their painting facilities with high tech robots. With such innovative upgrade comes environmental friendly biodegradable paint. This eco-paint looks and feels like traditional paint, but is rather soft.

We hear from time to time on MOL about people complaining about soft paint on their Honda. Yup, these people got punk'd with global-warming proof factory paint jobs

Comment

RB, There has been some very soft Honda paints coming through here and there I've read the last year or so, mostly with the Honda Fit though......

Aguila, how did you wash? Did you use the 2 bucket system? (Grit Guards)? Which wash mitt/brush did you use?

Can you provide pictures:
                      How to Capture Swirls..... - I saw someone very recently use a penny to capture paint condition.....

The above products are great products. The Step 2 of the DC system is an option, but a great option, if it looks good on your car, use it! I use a polish on our Yukon but our Neon, doesn't seem to matter if I use it or not.....

If you can't budge the swirls with ScratchX 2.0 or SwirlX, then Ultimate Compound may be needed and works great by hand as well as M105. I haven't read for sure but you are doing this by hand?

What it means to remove a swirl: - If you haven't read it yet.....

It's frustrating but don't throw the towel in yet! My two primary cars, one has a hard as nails clear coat that I have to glue diamonds on a wool pad on my rotary to get them out and other car is quite simply happy with a hit of a good cleaner wax(once properly maintained). Never know.

Keep us posted and post some pictures and hopefully someone with an '08 Civic can chime in.

A machine such as the G110 or other DA's (G100, Flex) would be a good bet.

Best thing to do as well is do a test spot on your finish and get a process dialed in. I tend to test spot on what I call the most abused part of the finish, the Hood or tops of the quarter panels as the once in a great while go through car wash, people leaning on your car, kids sitting on hood (kill time! lol) etc is on those parts, in my humble opinion. Then once you get a process dialed in, you can do your car, not use a product on your whole car then step back and not like the results.

I once dialed a process in on our Neon, the hard clear coat little devil, I did get a good process in, but I did instill Buffer Holograms, marring.....in my test spot and a little patience and a little time, I got 'er dialed in and the finish was flawless when I was done.

Like I said, keep us posted.

If doing by hand and the swirls are not budging with what you have, I would try Ultimate Compound followed by SwirlX if needed if you have marring.
                      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

ok well i'm not going out and spending more money on products, i have spent more than enough, how about u send me a g110 polisher, ultimate compound and some pads so I can fix my paint, instead of sending me a refund.

If I get a refund I will switch over to adams polishes & wax.

I'm going to detail my ride probably next weekend with the current products I have, I will take some pics of my steps. before and after.

You will not even notice a difference in the before and after photos.

I have already read all this stuff you guys are saying in other forum threads.

Comment

ok well i'm not going out and spending more money on products, i have spent more than enough, how about u send me a g110 polisher, ultimate compound and some pads so I can fix my paint, instead of sending me a refund.

If I get a refund I will switch over to adams polishes & wax.

I'm going to detail my ride probably next weekend with the current products I have, I will take some pics of my steps. before and after.

You will not even notice a difference in the before and after photos.

I have already read all this stuff you guys are saying in other forum threads.
                          I have read all your posts on MOL.

So far, some points need to be addressed.
                          • I fail to see how the products you listed could cost close to $200.

• From the sounds of it, you are new to detailing. According to you, you merely read on interweb forums to gain insight and knowledge on detailing. Having detailed cars in the past does not qualify you as being knowledgeable on the subject.
                          • You must have improperly washed your car (ie. from top to bottom or having dedicated pads for bottom half of the car, etc). If you are so anal as to whine about swirls, why didn't you use the two-bucket method with grit guards? I thought you read a lot about detailing on forums.
                          • You did not use your car care products correctly. There's not a single detailing product from any brand that would cause swirling or scratches to your surface. If used properly, any paint care product would either fill-in or remove scratches or swirls.
                          • If you have followed all the guidelines (which I doubt) on this forum or other reputable sites, you would have a solid understanding of how swirls are created, and how they could be avoided. You have failed to realize that swirls cannot be created by merely using certain car care products. You were doing something wrong. Also, swirls can easily be created with something as insignificant as a dirty wash mitt.
                          • You were indicating that you were trying to cover up the swirls with some sort of wax. While that is possible, that is not the way to repair swirls. You have not read the detailing guidelines on this forum. This proves your dishonesty in your posts.
                          • Adam's makes good products. But with your level of experience, their products wouldn't do you any good. With proper techniques, a detailer could achieve excellent results with products of any brand.
                          • Meguiar's will not send you a G110 polisher. Even if you eventually get your hands on a dual action, I would advise you not to use it.

Comment

Sounds like you need some grit guards, and an attitude/ technique adjustment.
                            Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

I have a tonne of fine scratches and swirl marks all over my car even after i wax. the car shines but if u put a light to the paint u can see a insane amount of swirls n scratches.
                              Hello Aguila

I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with the Meguiar's products you purchased! I know how you feel! Years ago, I tried removing swirls using Deep Crystal 1 cleaner and wasn't successful. Since then I have learned lots on this forum and use my dual-action polisher with products like Speed Glaze and Ultimate Compound with excellent results. It can be very tough to remove swirls by hand!

From the products you listed, I would recommend using ScratchX 2.0 and then follow that with the NXT wax. To ScratchX the whole car by hand will probably take a few hours if you work on a small section at a time. It will require a lot of "elbow grease" too to work the fine scratches out. It may not be possible/practical to get rid of them all by hand, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread. Sometimes scratches need machine application and a more aggressive product than even ScratchX. I do hope you give Meguiar's another shot, and that you are able to achieve the results you are looking for. Perhaps you could try a test section on the trunk lid using the ScratchX and then post some photos?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');