• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for you mobile detailers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you mobile detailers.

If you are a mobile detailer, i.e. go to someones house, or place of employment, how do you get electricity? Do you carry a generator around or use your customers available outlets? How do you guys get electricity to your equipment like your polisher and vacuum's?
    My automotive related blog! http://hereishowiviewthings.blogspot.com/

Re: Question for you mobile detailers.

I think most of the people who detail as a living have generators in their truck, van, trailer, etc. Those who detail as a side business or just for friends/family use customer's outlets. But then again, it also depends on how often you'd be detailing, too. If business is good and you're out and about everyday, definitely invest in a generator.
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Comment

Heyjudge

I used to go mobile (boy do I miss it!)and just went and found these pics that I would show you my way.

This was my 95 ford ranger splash extended cab, First is my 12X12 EZ-UP on the left side under my fold up chair and rotary. The blue container os of my electric pressure washer (sold my gas pressure washer because of having to haul around gas plus the fact that I'm sure I would have been waking people up at 7 or 8 in the morning running that noisy thing - plus I didn't need that much pressure) also on the right is my little craftsman air compressor, in between these is my platform ladder and fold-up table. My 2 bucket wash system w/grit gaurds and behind that is my other wash bucket I use for wheels and tires only also w/a grit gaurd. Then my 1500 watt power invertor ( fastened to the side of my truck bed on the right side in the back to make it easier to hook up to) w/ a marine battery to power up everything but my pressure washer and air compressor. When I had to use my pressure washer and air compessor I would ask the customer if I could hook up to their electric for alittle bit.

Also this was my first mobile, as you can see in the back ground Ihad to use my mustang (man was that dangerous with all my stuff!) and I was having to install a head on my truck at the time. This day made me get my truck back together faster.LOL

Hope this has helped, boy do I miss it!
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I've been doing it for 5 years now and have never needed a generator. I do not think that its unprofessional to not have one. Two days ago I was at a house along side a carpenter that was using the owner's power. I carry 150' worth of cord so I've never been without power. I simply tell the customer its all I require and that there will be no loud generator running. Heck, they usually have a cord out and water waiting on me. It's just such a new concept here I guess.

That being said, if you do a lot of office buildings and work in parking lots, you will probably need one. I did run into this at a business while I was in Florida. After looking for 10 minutes, I finally found an outlet. I do believe that I will be getting one of the small but extremely quiet Honda EU1000's. All I will use it for is my vac and G110V2...never at the same time.

You just have to see what your area is like.
        www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I have a generator that a have in my van and i have cords 25 50 150 feet. If the owner offers for me to use it i take advantage of it.
          Sudzontherun serving all of the Tri-state Area

Comment

Originally posted by Sudz On The Run View Post
            I have a generator that a have in my van and i have cords 25 50 150 feet. If the owner offers for me to use it i take advantage of it.
            Best approach I feel.
            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I once had a similar question. The replies were very helpful, especially since the amount of electricty used by a DA is completely negligible

Using a client's electricity. How much to offset?

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                I once had a similar question. The replies were very helpful, especially since the amount of electricty used by a DA is completely negligible

Using a client's electricity. How much to offset?
                Where I am.....I estimate that if I used my vac and G220 for a total of 2 hours straight.......which is really high......It would cost the customer about .85 cents.

I called my local company and gave them the specs and they gave me the estimate.
                www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

I carry a 5000 watt generator to run everything. I use a steamer,Mytee lite II & vac. Plus I can run my house with it. I carry 65 gallons of water & a recovery system. If a customer offers power I will use it to cut down on noise. Most homes can't power my steamer or extractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Murphy View Post
                    Where I am.....I estimate that if I used my vac and G220 for a total of 2 hours straight.......which is really high......It would cost the customer about .85 cents.

I called my local company and gave them the specs and they gave me the estimate.
                    I estimate that I spend almost as much time wiping off a panel with a Ultimate Wipe and examining it as I spend actually buffing it. So if I spend 8 hours polishing a car, I probably only have the polisher on for 5 hours. That also has to factor into the equation.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');