• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat removal to clean interiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat removal to clean interiors

How normal is it to remove seats to do an interior cleaning? What about newer cars that have airbags in the seats? Is it okay to remove them? Just be extra careful or just make sure you disconnect the wiring harness before you start to move them.
    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Re: Seat removal to clean interiors

I don't know about the vehicle your working on but when I was removing my air bag steering wheel from my mustang (drag racing purposes) I had to remove the battery terminals (neg. first then pos. and always put the pos. back on first then neg last!!) and wait 15 or 20 minutes before even starting removing my air bag so it loses power as not to deploy when unpluging from the harness.

But then again the newer vehicles with all the electronics and computer equipment they have it's awhole lot more complex then what I did so I wouldn't full with taking out the seats until you go talk to a dealer first!!!!
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

It may depend what you are working on, but I know for Ford vehicles, you just have to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and wait about 3 minutes. I have done hundreds of airbags and never had an incident. They don't go off just by touching or unplugging them. I'm not saying you don't have to show caution...you do, but they are not as sensitive to handling as many people think. The main thing to remember when handling airbags is to always hold the bag towards you...the way it would deploy. This is because if it does accidentally go off, the rear of an airbag is a metal disc that will hit you instead of the air bag part.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

Only weirdo's take the seats out

'05 Neon interior
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Well I'm not doing anything right now, I'm just wondering for future details. I know in some of my personal cars in the past I'd take the seat out for several different reasons.. just wasn't sure about newer cars with airbags in the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
            Only weirdo's take the seats out

'05 Neon interior
            I've been a weirdo a couple times nappers and will again shortly on my wifes car. Kids and stains.LOL
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

I hope it's not weird...

I pulled the entire thing out of my Explorer... Yes, I waxed behind the door panels and also waxed the floor of the truck- I need help...

After the quarter wash it was steamed...

Heck- when I did the same thing to my SHO, the interior moved up into my house for a few evenings while I cleaned and conditioned everything!

2000 Ford Explorer XLT "Deuce"
              2007 Toyota Camry XLE

Comment

I was going to take the seat out of my car to fix a problem with it (not cleaning) and I was surprised that the Bentley service manual had special instructions ... don't reuse the bolts, replace them with new ones and install them with Loctite ###. So depending on the car, it might not be straight forward to do it the correct way. Sounds like it could even be a safety issue. Needless to say, I didn't get to work on my seat since I didn't have replacement bolts.

Comment

Seat Removal:

For a thorough interior cleaning, removal of the seats will allow access to hard to reach areas. It's relatively easy if you take your time and are careful.
                  Disconnect the battery before starting. Remove the battery terminals (negative terminal connection first then positive) and always put them back in the reverse order. Some vehicles have airbags sensors in the seats but when you unplug the seat wiring harness with airbags or airbag sensors, the computer senses this and trips the light (s) and/or message, which must be reset by the dealer when you’ve re-installed the seats wiring harness.

Front bucket seats are typically held down by four bolts on the ends of the runners at the base of the seat, two in the front and two in the back, these bolts are usually torque down hard (when replacing start the bolt by hand, being very careful not to cross-thread them) These are removed using a socket wrench. Sometimes the bolts are covered by a decorative plastic moulding, which is held in place by a screw or just pops off using a prying action with a slotted screwdriver.

First, slide the seats to its rear-most position, exposing the front bolts, remove, then, sliding the seat to its forward position, exposing the rear bolts, remove. When all four bolts have been removed, gently tilt the seat either forward or back to reveal any wires that are connected to the underside of the seat (for seat position controls, heaters, seat belt sensors, etc.)

Carefully unplug these wires, and remove the seat from the vehicle, taking care not to scratch seat or paint surfaces as you lift out the seat. Cover the remaining wire harness with a plastic bag and then aluminium foil; this will prevent water and cleaning solution from getting into the wiring harness.

Professional detailer's (unless this is personal vehicle) should be cautious if removing seats as this may raise safety liability issues
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

From what I've been told, you have to replace the Locktite used on a lot of seat bolts. I doubt there is any on my '79, I'm going to probably end up taking out my seats, carpets and interior trim for a real thorough cleaning at some point this summer.
                    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                    Calais Auto Detailing
                    CalaisDetails@aim.com
                    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

And when you have the interior out is an ideal time to add sound deadener so your interior will be more quiet and you can hear the tunes better!

Comment

I tried to remove the seats from a 2006 Mustang, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic cover on the back of the seat brackets to get to the bolts. I looked it up on Google and didn't come up with anything.

Comment

I would on my own car but if detailing for $$$, I make sure to put the vaccume hose under there and reach for any loose trash. OR if there was a stain that needed to be reached, that be the only time for me.

Comment

Originally posted by LelandGray View Post
                            I tried to remove the seats from a 2006 Mustang, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic cover on the back of the seat brackets to get to the bolts. I looked it up on Google and didn't come up with anything.
                            Sometimes the bolts are covered by a decorative plastic moulding, which is held in place by a screw or just pops off using a prying action with a slotted screwdriver.
                            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT View Post
                              Sometimes the bolts are covered by a decorative plastic moulding, which is held in place by a screw or just pops off using a prying action with a slotted screwdriver.
                              Agreed, and IF you do remove the seat, make sure it is put back together correctly and do not break any plastic peices.

My Trans Am (2002) but the same goes for ALL 4th Gen Fbodies, that on the seat is a plastic piece thats attatched to the head rest and guides the belt, unfortunately it gets broken easily and if that does not happen, its a pain the a s s to get the screws to seat correctly.

So like said, if you do it, do it right or not at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');